Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:55 am 

Hi there, I've been working as a teacher/tutor for around 15 years but have decided recently to focus more on tutoring as it is the part I most enjoy. I'm determined to do everything properly and as well as possible but am unsure of how to have a CRB check carried out (no one has yet asked but I'm aware of the importance of it). I have made a few enquiries but it seems that it's necessary to be employed by an organisation and impossible as an individual.

Any advice would be very much appreciated..

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:17 am 

Have you not had one for teaching anyway? You have to get one for each organisation you work in and if you are self employed you need to contact an "umbrella body" to support the application and be the counter signatory

this may help..http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/umbrella_body_search.aspx

just a random one from the list : http://www.ukcrb.com/selfemployed.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:34 pm 

The regulations to be brought in this October had also stated that those working with children and vulnerable adults MUST be registered by the Independent Safeguarding Authority - this was to be done on a 5-year phased basis, and the registration fee included the CRB check.
As we know, lots of changes are afoot politically and so the ISA itself is under review, although I imagine it and its processes will survive, albeit in a reduced form. You may wish to check the website www.isa-gov.org.uk for updates regarding what is happening.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm 

The thing with a CRB check is that it is up to date on the day it was processed but out of date the very next day. If you were hoping to get one and show any prospective clients how 'clean' yours is it would mean absolutely nothing because you could have comitted the most horrendous crime subsequently. The 'owner' of the CRB does get updates but that wouldn't help really for your intended use.

It's an interesting one though if you will be working with young people and I wonder how others 'judge' a tutor is suitable without employing the person directly and requesting their own CRB? Am sure there are procedures in place....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:30 pm 

the CRB check is a strange beast - just require bits of ID .. and then the criminal record check. The nature of serious criminals of course, is that the they often have no record until the first catastrophic event. The caretaker of Soham school had a CRB check done by his employers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:57 pm 

I think it's a ridiculous system having to have different ones for different organisations. I have one for Scouts and one for pre school (comittee member at both) and would need yet another if I were to do any supply teaching. Further, according to Lincs County Council, if I then didn't teach for, I think, three months, it would become invalid and I'd have to start all over again as I may have committed a crime in the meantime. However, if I was really good at time management presumably I could be committing masses of crimes while simultaenously teaching, helping out with scouts and pre school! :roll:

Last edited by ourmaminhavana on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 pm 

All a CRB means is that you haven't been caught! :shock: It's certainly not proof that you have never committed a crime, just that you are possibly a master criminal 8)