Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tutor, with or without?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:58 pm 

I know some kids who got a place in Grammer School without having a tutor.
I know some kids who couldn't get a place in GS despite having a tutor.

Why did it happened?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:08 pm 

I tutored my daughter myself , apart from 4 sessions we managed to get with a highly recommended tutor during the summer to make sure we'd not missed anything obvious and to pick up any other tips. My daughter scored 272 (pass rate was 220), so it worked for us, my daughter wanted to put the time and effort in herself, as she really wanted Skipton Girls High School and no other. So it is possible with limited or no professional tutoring. The child has got to be capable or have the incentive in the first place, otherwise they'll just be a fish out of water when they get to the school.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:13 pm 

I suppose the simple answer is that it depends on the child. When you hire a tutor you are not buying a pass in the exam. The tuition should improve your DC's performance but may not bring them up to the required standard if the gap at the outset was too great or if the bar is set particularly high in the given year. Similarly, those who pass with little tuition were probably closer to the required standard at the outset.

To some extent it depends on the tutor, too. Some are better than others. If you peruse the forum you'll find tales of parents being charged for what amounts to little more than a babysitting service while the DC do practice papers followed by a five minute plenary session at the end. Then there are those who know the local exam system inside out and who make up their own papers and can give fairly accurate predictions of how well DC will fare in the exam (even down to recommending which school they are most likely to meet the requirements of).

Then there are the blips - the unexpected passes/fails due to goodness-knows-what circumstance on the day of the exam itself.

Ask around for a recommended tutor in your area. Consider diy tuition too.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:29 pm 

DS1 had no tutoring as I feel very strongly that it is not in the childs best interest to be tutored to get into a school where they may subsequently struggle to keep up. I went through the question types with him myself and he used off-the-shelf materials to get the timing right. He's now doing well in Y8 at grammar school. I think problems arise when children tutored to pass the test (for years in extreme cases) artificially inflate the pass mark to the detriment of those who would genuinely benefit from a grammar school education.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm 

My DD had no tutor. I helped her with Maths and VR and her father did NVR with her. She is a quick student though and grasps things pretty quickly, so that helped. In fact we searched for a tutor and we met this genuinely nice lady who after a initial session with my DD said that she didnt need tutoring.
I set up a timetable and made sure we covered all the relevant portions and the right papers. I am proud to say she passed both the Bexley and Kent tests with the maximum score. So I guess it's a mix of tutoring(helping), right materials, right approach etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:34 pm 

it depends what you mean by no tutoring...

coaching , going through past papers etc can be done , very successfully at home. You don;t need a paid tutor necessarily,but the children are still being tutored/coached

i would think there are only a few who sit the exam completely unfamiliar with the type of questions they will have to answer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:06 pm 

I would agree that very few would pass the test with no help whatsoever. I would also question no help whatsoever.

A child coming from a home that is interested in the wider world, education, reads widely, etc. will have a broader vocabulary/knowledge as s/he has been "coached" for the entirety of life.

I advise parents of my tutees with younger siblings to use a word diary when reading, to play word games, to do puzzles, listen to good stories, the list goes on.

All of this is really low-level coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:19 pm 

absolutely!!