Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stats on tutoring
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:32 pm 

I wondered f there were stats as to how many kids who go though the 11+ are tutored.... seems to me like most are. In our school, only 2 out of 15 were not.

Post subject: Re: Stats on tutoring
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:39 pm 

it depends on what people count as tutoring, is it just employing a professional/paid tutor?

many people on this forum say that there child was never tutored but then go on to say that they went through past papers and worked on technique..surely this is tutoring /coaching as well?

without being clear on the definition of tutoring any statistics would be flawed.

I think that there is some research from nfer that says that coaching can make a difference (reference escapes ma at the moment)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:27 pm 

I meant paid tutor.. your child goes to someone having the label "tutor" and pay them a fee.. I find that's what most people do around here.... so wondered if there were stats :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 pm 

Again tricky even if they are paid - is it a one off session or years of lessons???

(ho ho - remember being taken to see local tutor when I was 10 - prior to 11 plus and KEHS exams... parents told after one session he didn;t want to see me again - very honest of him I thought to admit kid would pass without his help).

Do prep schools count (not all are interested in the 11 plus - other indies are often their focus, sometimes parents get external tutoring for 11plus)??

I think you will find that a lot of kids are tutored one way or another and no there won't be any stats - people keep quite quiet about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:27 pm 

my parents didn;t even realise I had sat the 11+, I didn;t think to mention it.. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:13 pm 

yoyo123 wrote:
my parents didn;t even realise I had sat the 11+, I didn;t think to mention it.. :roll:

ah those were the days... I didn't realise i had taken it either!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:21 pm 

The question 'how much did you tutor your child?' elicits, in my view, the same accuracy of answer as the doctor's question 'how many units of alcohol do you drink each week?', or, similarly but opposite-ly, if you get me, the surveys on 'how often...? or 'how many...?' in relation to people's, er, private lives. That is, deeply inaccurate, and liable to be aimed at portraying the answerer in the most favourable light.
[Answers to the above would be, respectively: '3 at most' ; '3 at least'; 'lost count'].

By this token, it turns out that most children who gain entry to the most selective schools in the country, have had, at most, a couple of hours of self-motivated, low-key tuition with a parent.

Goodness knows what all those tutors are doing to keep busy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:22 pm 

:D

spot on Amber,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:33 pm 

indeed - the definition of an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than his (or her) doctor.

... as amber says it is really difficult to get people to define amounts and be honest. Was chatting to someone "who hardly eats anything" we went on to chat about the individual packets of cereals, he said they were far too small for one person... all relative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:45 pm 

how can you exclude the hours spent reading stories to your children, taking them to the park ,letting them help you cook, explaining things and helping them find answers in books, joining the library ( in miss yoyo;s case when she was 11 weeks old), counting out knives and forks, working out how many slices of bread you need for 4 people to have a sandwich each.....