Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NO TUTORS RECOMMENDED?!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:24 pm 

It's quite astonishing the response for recommending Tutors!! I've not received a single PM or response for a tutor and when you look down this forum, it appears that no one had much luck either?! I'm looking for a tuition centre or a tutor for my son in the Redbridge area for Private & consortium schools - no suggestions or PM since 8 weeks? Is it the rules of the forum that is prohibiting any help or advise to parents?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:35 pm 

Dear samraj

I'm sorry you've had no response, but there are no rules prohibiting genuine recommendations by PM.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:44 pm 

Take a look at the following link

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-tutors/

Patricia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:05 pm 

Hi Patricia, no offense - I've read all that but was looking for some recommendations. I know hundreds of them have registered here but have been told it's good if someone refers!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:26 pm 

No Offense taken.

Personally I would not be happy with an anonymous person via Pm or posting on an interent forum either.

Personal recommendation from someone you know is always preferable. Do you know anyone in your area that has gone through the process? If not make some phone calls to some local tutors and ask them relevant questions.

Before you make the phonecall make sure you know the sylabus in order to ask the right questions, if they cannot answer or skirt round the subject, move on...

Have you thought of teaching your child yourself?

Good Luck

Patricia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:38 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I've been teaching him (not easy at times) and been taking him to tuition since last 6 months - not happy were he is right now! I've been talking and taken suggestions and will be taking him into a tuition centre in Ilford OR Redbridge in Jan'11. As a parent who is investing a lot of time & money I was looking for confirmation/guidance from parents who have been there before or going through it now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 am 

Thanks for the replies by PM - really appreciate all comments & suggestions!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:32 pm 

I am having the same difficulty, some tutors that have been recommended, are booked years in advance, others live too far..... I am now looking at agencies. Some parents have found good tutors through agencies, but it may take time. The first one I was sent, was not good, so I demanded another, I was not charged for the session. The next time they recommend one, I will ask to see not only qualifications, but also for sucsess rate and references.
Another option is tuition centres.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:52 am 

What qualifications are you asking to see?
I think that I am a very good tutor and have been established for many years now and I do not have any official teaching qualifications. If you also asked me my success rate, I wouldn't give you one.
I tutor many children and would never turn a child away because I thought that they didn't have what it took to pass the exams, as I know many tutors do who have advertised these high success pass rates. In my opinion that would be incredibly unfair.
I can not suggest what you can do to find a good tutor, but asking for qualifications and pass rates, may limit you in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:54 am 

I too believe qualifications and success rate are less important.

Some tutors will only taken on dead certs, therefore the figures will have been massaged. I would always be honest with my pass rate, yes I have had some "failures" but I have been totally honest with the parent, making it quite clear the child is borderline. I have given up children who are unable to count on from 14 to 16...

My most important question would be "what is your sylabus"

I know of Bucks tutors who still openly teach from the old Susan daughtrey days ie 35 plus types in standard form, I know of others who teach 39 types , stating that every year a new question pops up.....absolute rubbish

Parents should do their homework on which disciplines and question types are releveant to their area. In fact why not just DIY this forum is a wealth of information.

Recommendation from someone you know [not some anonymous person telling you on a forum] should always be the first option.

Patricia