Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Removed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 pm 

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How much to pay
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:50 pm 

I'm in London, so don't know if this is much help, but I've been paying £20/hour for one-to-one tuition for my DS. I consider this very reasonable for London; I would regard £25 as OK and £30 as a bit of a liberty.
:shock: to £39.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:02 pm 

From what friends are paying I would say that £25 - £35 p.h. seems to be the going rate for tutors in Gloucestershire and yes, I agree, these are scary amounts! This is for an individual lesson. If you're happy to be in a group, it'll be less.
Advertising removed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm 

I'm in the Southeast and I used to charge £20 last year, which I thought was reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 am 

Last year I paid £20 per lesson, and that included all materials, homework etc. It may be worth asking what you get for your money - ie. do you have to provide any resources (Lett, Bond books etc) for homework, what does the tutor know about the 11+ process in your area (mine was invaluable) etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 am 

I charge £25 and that seems to be about normal here. It includes all materials.

Remember you are not just paying for the hours teaching. Preparing materials, planning, photocopier and making resources also takes a lot of time. I spend a lot of time on preparation as I tailor the lesson to the lesson to each child. Not all tutors are equal though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 am 

Glos_Mum wrote:
I'm back to finding a tutor for my second DS, who is in year 5. My eldest is year 8, and for him, we paid £20ph.

My old tutor is not a very feasilble option, as we have moved, and also, she may be a little too tranquil for my youngest! I am pretty much cold-calling as I have no recommendations to go on.

So far I've had one quote me £30ph and one quote a scary £39ph plus travel costs and an adiminstration charge! The other was so rude when answering the phone, that when she calls me back later, I will not be answering (well known tutoring group BTW, so much for the good reputation).

Are these reasonable amounts? I would like to say that money isn't an object and the important thing is that my DS gets a good tutor, but I have to be realistic here as I simply cannot afford to pay over the odds.

I was paying £20 an hour and that was in London. I really don't know how much it would cost in Gloucestershire but I suspect that it may be more as there is probably less competition.

However, just a word of warning, research any prospective tutor very carefully as I was not happy with the tutor my son had before. She offered no suggested material, didnt provide feedback or a report, so please be careful. When you do find someone, ensure that you ask your child how each lesson went and how they find them.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 pm 

If these are the amounts than I would go with private tutoring or online tutoring. The CDs that you can buy on this website for computer are also really good! I think tutors for 11+ overcharge a lot, as they know we all want our children to get in and that it is really important, but these prices are tooo much! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 pm 

I am in Essex and home-tutored. I know of children who have tuition at £20 an hour. One large concern charges £50 an hour for one-to-one sessions (and, I believe, £350 for an assessment and debriefing). I think £20-25 is reasonable. The problem is that some compare it with the cost of dance lessons etc when it is something quite different. If you expect a professional service from a qualified professional then I think you should expect to pay accordingly. I don't believe that most tutors are raking in huge amounts of money. As said earlier, you get more than your hour's worth anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:34 pm 

Thank you for that sensible post, 'First-timer.'

It never ceases to amaze me that parents think that it's ok to expect to get an hour's tuition from a professionally qualified person, for £20 or £25! With another hour for preparation and marking, this means that the tutor is getting £10 - £12.50 an hour - less if s/he has to pay an agency!

Why should £39 an hour be a joke, when you can pay that to your dentist for 15 minutes?

Just how much do you people imagine it will cost you to put your child through private school, if your 11+ tutor does not get him/her into a GS?

I do not do 11+ tutoring but I do do GCSE and A Level. I'm proud to say that I charge £45 an hour for the former and £50 for the latter. I am inundated with requests for tuition, and fortunately all my pupils and their parents seem to think I am worth it.

A close friend who is recently retired from Head of Dept. at a leading school, charges £50 for ages up to GCSE,and £60 for both GCSE and A Level. She's a brilliant teacher with 30 years of stellar experience, and any child tutored by her would be fortunate indeed.

Wake up - or grow up, out there! Tuition costs money, and you get what you pay for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next