Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 am 

Hi all
I am newby to this forum and to this 11+ quest!
My Ds started in Year 5 this September in a prep school known as good feeder to Merchant Taylor, Habs, QE etc. We are planning for the usual grammars and independents. My questions are:
- Does additional tutoring really help (or reduce any risk) in prepartion?
- Assuming a risk-averse 'Yes' response, what kind of tutors are best suited? I am confused by the plethora of info on web about saturday tutoring classes etc, vis-a-vis individual tutions.
- My confusion is the prep school has already a good plan of going through usual VR/NVR, English, Maths techniques for target schols , practice and revision papers etc. Therfore, if I add to this a run-off-the-mill saturday tutoring class or individual tutor who just adds another set of similar practice papers, is it really worth it or does it actually become detrimental?
I just want to get an all round view from this forum on this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:56 am 

If your DS has just moved to the prep I would let him settle in before considering starting anything else.

Starting in year 5 at a prep can be stressful for kids / parents and school as it does not leave a huge amount of time for the settling in / getting up to speed before the tests next year and adding in extra tutors may cause confusion at this stage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:36 pm 

Thanks hermanmunster.
I completely agree with you. I am not looking for any tutor for immediate timeframe. It has been a lot to take in for my DS in last 4 weeks. Add to this stress of moving house.
I am just trying to make sure that I have not missed the boat or missed anything blindingly obvious re: tutors.
Someone told that tutors actually have waiting lists!That I am already late!!

I guess crux of my dilemma is: are these so-called tutors going to spoon feed just another set of practice papers only or do they teach basics where someone is weak? How is that possible if they are teaching in groups of 5-10 on Saturday classes.
Am I better off (if at all) using 1-to-1 sessions for areas where I find my DS weaker. e.g. If the school gives feedback by end of 1st term that he may need a bit of boost in English comprehension. Would I find a good tutor at that stage or do I need to 'grab' one now??
So confusing!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:21 pm 

Don't use any tutor who claims they can teach VR skills effectively to groups (4+) of children. Not money well spent. :evil: