Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:03 pm 

Just thought i`d start this topic to find out what the biggest problem areas are in the practice exams.

This will help people find out what to concentrate on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:00 pm 

the eleven plus varies from area to area, so the link may not be relevant to all.

The NI selection tests are very different, I remember my Father in law buying a load of practice papers when my daughter sat the Kent test and they were not really relevant, although they might be quite good for practice they will not identify any problems for NVR or VR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 am 

Fresh papers are always welcome! Thanks for the link. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 pm 

Your welcome glad I could help but the link had to be removed sorry .
If anyone else is interested pm me and i`ll give you the link.
The papers were from the Transfer test in Northern Ireland our equivalent to the 11 plus.
Regards
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:26 am 

Ok i`ll start the ball rolling my daughter is having problems at the moment with multiplying decimals

eg. 0.75 X 80 = 60 but she might get 600 so I tell her that 80 X 1 =80 so the answer cannot be over 80

and I have been telling her to change this into fractions which she is more comfortable with like 3/4.

does anybody know an easier way?

Regards

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:45 pm 

Well the way that they should have been taught in school is that when you multiply by 10 the digits are moved one place to the left, when you divide by 10 the digits all move one place to the right etc etc.

Then she needs to understand a trick. Instead of multiplying by 0.75, take the decimal point away and multiply by 75 (easy) and then divide by 100 at the end. The reason you need to divide by 75 at the end is because 75 is 100 times 0.75 (the digits have all moved two places to the left, i.e. to get from 0.75 to 75 you have multiplied by 100).

So at the end you need to correct for this and divide by 100 at the end (i.e. move the digits two places to the right).

Hope this is clear. It should work whatever number is used. She needs to be able to picture the digits moving.

Best to write down lots of decimal numbers e.g. 1234. 5678 and label the columns thousands, hundreds, tens, units, 1/10ths, 1/100ths, 1/1000ths etc and then do things like multiply and divide by 10, 100 etc and write the numbers again in the correct columns to see the "shift" taking place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 pm 

Brian, All

Just to clarify, there was no problem with posting the link to the practice papers because they are not commercial papers. This is the link to them: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 04600.html

The issue was that Brian had posted the link as his signature and so it would appear on any section of the forum he posted on. That could mislead people into thinking that they are applicable to all 11+ areas. They are certainly appropriate practice material for the Northern Ireland test, and may be useful for other areas, but are definitely not appropriate for others (Bucks, for example, where the test is only VR).

I hope that is now clear.

Sally-Anne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:18 pm 

Just realised that I typed "the reason you need to divide by 75 at the end is ........ " when I meant to type "the reason you need to divide by 100 at the end is ........."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 pm 

mystery wrote:
Just realised that I typed "the reason you need to divide by 75 at the end is ........ " when I meant to type "the reason you need to divide by 100 at the end is ........."

Thanks so much for your help that is easier

Regards

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:58 pm 

Sally-Anne wrote:
Brian, All

Just to clarify, there was no problem with posting the link to the practice papers because they are not commercial papers. This is the link to them: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 04600.html

The issue was that Brian had posted the link as his signature and so it would appear on any section of the forum he posted on. That could mislead people into thinking that they are applicable to all 11+ areas. They are certainly appropriate practice material for the Northern Ireland test, and may be useful for other areas, but are definitely not appropriate for others (Bucks, for example, where the test is only VR).

I hope that is now clear.

Sally-Anne

Yes Sally-Anne and thanks for reposting the link

regards Brian