Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11+ Practice papers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:36 am 
can any experienced tutor or parent advice me please if the practice papers of MW Educational and Learning Together are of same level of difficulty as the NFER ones or are much easier. My daughter is preparing for Berks exam and getting 95% in the IPS, AFN etc practice papers for verbal & nonverbal. So looking for some papers that could really challenge her, a bit more difficult..............Please advice any such papers with similar NFER paper types.
many thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:59 am 

Dear Guest2007

I can answer for Verbal Reasoning....

If the test is VR multiple Choice published by NFER.... MW Educational is not relevant. Learning Together is not multiple choice.

Tests by AFN, although covering the correct types, they are easier than other publishers.

Publishers relevant to VR, multiple Choice NFER are...

IPS, AFN, The Tutors, Susan Daughtrey [ Bright Sparks only ]

With regard to NFER these contain 15 types of questions, the above contain 21 types as used by Bucks, The Wirral and many other areas. [the 21 contain the 15 types] The types that are missing are HIKNOS [as identified by IPS] or types 16-21 found on the Tutors Free Demo....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Perhaps a post in the Berks section may bring some more advice.

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 am 
Thanks Patricia,

sorry I forgot to say that the test is NFER standard...........

My daughter has done IPS and AFN. But has not done the Susan Daughtrey [ Bright Sparks ] or Tutors. I've noticed the Susan Daughtrey [ Bright Sparks ] has published one standard type as well. Probably I would go for that. Are you aware if Tutors have any standard version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 pm 

Patricia your post contains inaccurate information. The Learning Together epapers are dual format and so can be used as standard or multiple choice. The CD is obviously multiple-choice format. The NV books are in both formats and the Verbal Reasoning books are in standard format. Your error may have caused confusion among the readers of this forum. In response to guest 2007 many regard the Learning Together material as more demanding than other similar products.
Stephen McConkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:16 pm 

Dear Stephen

I certainly did not write that, I had no reason to [ my original word document doesn't say that either, I still have the copy??? ].......someone one has been editing my posts!

I certainly would not want to mislead anyone!

It said.... both MW Education and Learning Together are not relevant [ as they do not contain the correct 15/21 types. for VR M/C NFER .....as used by Bucks, the Wirral, Slough Grammars etc ]

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:52 am 

Hi Guest2007

Am I right in thinking that the'berks' exam you are going for is in Reading (Kendrick) ?

I believe thay are the only Berks grammar that uses Standard format.

If so it may be worth posting on the Berkshire forum using the school name that you are interested in. You may get a response from parents whose children took the exam last year.

Unfortunately as I have only got experience of the multichoice versions I cannot help...... :roll: