Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:22 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm on the horns of a dilemma. My son is in Yr4 and goes to a state primary school in Trafford. He's keen to go to one of the local Grammar schools so we've just started working through practice questions relevent for his age .

What I want to know is, if we continue down the DIY route, will my son be at a disadvantage over those kids that have been tutored?? My husband and I are both professional people who did well academically so I'm sure we can cope with the 11+ syllabus, time isn't a problem as I collect him from school every day and he's recently reduced the number of out-of-school activities he's involved in.

I'm after some advice!! What are the advantages of a tutor v DIY? Is there anything that tutors do that can't be done at home? Do tutors give out work to do at home? Obviously we want to give him the best chance possible, but does that involved paying out £100 a month when we don't need to??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm 

Hello Bazz jazz.
I think a lot of us on this forum could have done DIY tutoring. But I like many chose not to as I found it difficult to be as patient with my child (I'm really patient with everyone else's). It's up to you. Tutors do tend to give lots of hints and tips on things that are so important like how to get through 80 VR questions in 50 minutes!
It really is a personal choice though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:58 pm 

No, your son will not be at a disadvantage if you diy. Personally, I think he will be at an advantage if you are keen to go down that route - you will be in control of what he learns and when. You know your son better than any tutor will.

For some people a tutor might work out better, it really depends on personal circumstances. This forum has loads of tips if you have time to search.

There is a half-way house - follow a relevant home-study course with your child which shows you tips and techniques and saves you time finding out for yourself. I will pm you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:10 pm 

I tend to agree with Rosette.
We chose DIY route and found it useful. You will know what your child is doing, his/her weaker areas and what requires further refinement. I am not sure about the examination requirement in your area, but we prepared our DS using DIY for all four subjects - VR, NVR, Maths and English.
11+ is no magic .. regular study will pay the dividends.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:05 pm 

As you have the ability and the time, you should try giving it a go. The potential pitfall is that you rub each other up the wrong way. If that doesn't happen, though, there are advantages to doing it yourself. You can have sessions any length you want and on any day you want and your normal routine doesn't get eaten into with round trips to a tutor's home. You get to know your child really well and become a team with a task.

It's cheaper too! Be willing to spend a fair bit on getting the right materials - you would have to do this even if you used a tutor.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:46 pm 

Hii
I think both are required - DIY deifnately for obsevring past papers, going over questions, strengthening the childs weaknesses. But i strongly believe only a recommended tutor should teach techniques. Parents no matter how good they are do not have enough knowledge to combat difficult questions simply because they themselves havnt mastered the techniques and the child knows this - and it can affect their performance.
Ofcourse getting a tutor does not mean as a parent your contribution had havled. You still need to be on your childs case for the entire one year prior to the exam, ensuring papaers are done in time etc but a child with a good tutor has a better chance of getting in because good tutor also learn the childs weaknesses and strengths as my daughters tutor did and secured her place at tiffins.

im sure if someone actually looked at the cohort of kids that get into competitive schools like tiffins most of them would have been privately tutored and DIYed at home

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 pm 

Quote:
Parents no matter how good they are do not have enough knowledge to combat difficult questions simply because they themselves havnt mastered the techniques

But parents can master the techniques - the IPS booklet on how to teach the various types of VR for example is fantastic and certainly taught me as did lots of very helpful posts on here. My mother, who helped tutor DD on days she picked her up from school, even went to the extent of doing the papers before DD to make sure she knew how to answer each question!

Having used a tutor who turned out to be not very good you need to be very sure about a tutor you use or DIY when as others have said you can quickly and easily work on weaknesses. I am DIY ing with DS as he needs lots of small chunks rather than a full hour. Spent last weekend surrounded by Patricia's 'compound word cards' trying to work them all out - DS loved it altho I'm not sure that making up phrases such as 'get a life' are quite the idea :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:16 pm 

My first advice would be to find out the type and number of exams you DC will take for your chosen grammar schools. If in Trafford then definitely Maths, Verbal Reasoning/English and Non Verbal Reasoning –I do believe there are at least 3 exams in the 11+ in your area.

Agree with the previous responses, if you have the time and the inclination then DIY. Use the invaluable resources in this forum for your region. Good Luck.
:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:09 pm 

i do agree that DIY is invaluable as i have just been through it..but iv also experienced the input of a tutor that teaches the children as if they were her own...and this input is far greater than probably what my own was...11+ can be a rough journey and ensuring as a parent you have that back up
only means youve left no stone unturned to potentially secure your childs future
i do agree it is extremly difficult to find such reliable and trustworthy tutors though (i guess i was lucky!)

we can teach ourselves and know how to do techniques which is brilliant but mastering techniques is not that easy..which is why of the 1500 kids that sit a competitive schools entrance exam only about 120 will get the top scoring mark and what differentiates the remaining students and parents from those clever kids is that they simply know how to crack the more difficult questions

good luck to everyone for this years exams:)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]