Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Assessment
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:39 pm 
Hi,

I am just about to start tutoring for the 11+. What assessment do you do when you first get a student?

Many thanks

Kirsty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:46 pm 
Do you mean you are tutoring a child yourself or are you sending a child to be tutored?

Post subject: Assessment
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:19 pm 
I am going to tutor a child. I curently work for a franchise tutoring but am going to set up myself. I was just wondering what assessments you use when you first get a student.

Kirsty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:33 pm 
Sorry, Kirsty, then I don't know. My child has an assessment done by tutors who used some verbal reasoning/Non verbal tests and gave his scores of 129/132. Also did some English/Maths 132/139.

But I don't know what tests they used. Maybe tutors know by experience also how much a child knows and whether they will pass the exams.
Good luck with your tutoring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:00 pm 

Hi Kirsty,

I ended up 'tutoring' my child myself through the 11+, sucessfully I might add :D , however we did at one point consider a tutor.

He came to meet us(parents) and our son and was very good, putting my son at ease, while he quietly assessed his suitablity for a Grammar education. He did not use any kind of formal test, but was very interested in his passtimes how much he enjoyed reading, his favourite subjects at school and a whole host of other topics. I am sure my son had no idea he was being assessed at all!.

He also asked us what kind of feedback we had been having from the school. He was very keen to explain the difference between being suitable for a Grammar education and being a suitable candidate to pass the 11+ but as you need one to be a part of the other this is unfortunately what needs to be practiced. I think he was trying to get us to think about the 'bigger picture' to make sure we had really thought about the best type of education for our son, and to impress that not all children who are very bright will have the skills necesary to pass the test, and I suppose vise versa.

I think this is where the arguement of not allowing children any kind of familiarisation before the tests fall down. After all what other exam would you ever enter without having done some kind of preparation? :?

I know I've rambled some what but hope this helps. We are Lincs by the way with VR and NVR only.

Good luck, It's very rewarding work is'nt it :D
angelz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:28 am 

Hi Kirsty

We do not make initial assesments. We tend to rely on the parents decision to seek a private tutor. Although we do ask about peformance within the primary school and where the parent thinks the child is in relation to his/her peers.

Assesment is therefore ongoing.

We only tutor for verbal reasoning.

Children generally have strengths and weaknesses across the range of question types.

Working with the child through the set of question types that are available on the market will help you to identify which of the question types require more work.

As you probably know, timing is a key element of the process. So you are not just assesing accuracy you are also assesing speed. Both of these variables tend to improve as the child becomes more familiar with the questions.

One view that I have on initial assesment based on giving a child a practice paper. Is that you can assume that they will not be able to complete the paper or tackle some of the question types. This is because some of the types are not taught within the school curriculum and tutoring for 11+ tends to start with nine year olds who do not have the language development to attempt some of the vocabulary type questions. This type of assesment I think is demotivating for the child.

Hope this helps

Mike