Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: query about tutor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:45 pm 

Does anyone have any thoughts on tutors who screen as to which children they take on?

We had a tutor for my eldest son for a while up until the summer holidays prior to taking the 11+ last year. However he has some specific learning difficulties and we realised that once we knew what he needed to learn, that we were the ones who knew his learning style best. This worked (he passed) and in many ways it was a good experience which brought us closer together.

However it is now time to start thinking about ds number 2 who is in year 4. We have thought about DIYing, particularly as we now know what is involved, but second son is very different to number one and I'm not sure he will respond to us helping him in the same way. I suppose we also feel that if he didn’t pass we would be blame ourselves for not giving him the same opportunity of tutoring as the first.

The tutor we used before has retired. I have found someone else who was recommended to me and she is willing to see him but will not commit to tutoring until she has assessed him. We didn’t have this experience with our first tutor. The new tutor has told me that she probably only takes on about a third of those she sees as she will only agree if they are truly of high ability.

I am interested in Mike’s comments that if a child is given a paper before they even know how to answer the questions it can be demoralising for them. I guess this is my concern about assessment – Is it usual for tutors to screen who they take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:07 pm 

Hi Greta

Some tutors do, and some don't. Those who do have varied motives.

Some are screening to make sure that the child does stand some chance of passing, rather than the parents wasting their money or pushing the child to do something they are not capable of.

Others are screening because only taking the very brightest kids means they get an easy life and a good crop of pass rates to show the next set of parents.

Some are perhaps a combination of both. Only you can tell where this tutor falls on the scale.

The assessment should not be a full-blown 11+ paper, but is likely to be a Verbal Reasoning paper of some sort - one that is geared to the child's current age and lack of experience of VR.

I shall be most interested to hear the thoughts of others on this, especially Patricia & Mike.

It is interesting to note the difference between your two children - what works for one will not necessarily work for another. Mine are just the same! :roll:

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:23 pm 
Our tutor screens to ensure she only takes children who she thinks have a realistic chance of passing. She has such a long waiting list (3 years) that she is not short of ready work and is very clear that she does not want to waste parents money. Naturally she has a good pass rate which helps the reputation and brings in more business!! Before she even assesses the children she asks lots of questions about parental support, position in the class, which primary they are at etc

At the first session she looks at their basic maths, spellings, understanding of basic meanings and gets them to try a few reasoning questions. She does not attempt full papers at this stage as she thinks it can be demoralising and they they may not have the skills (language/mathmatical) to give a true impression of their ability. She has alot of experience and seems to determine quite easily within that session who she will take on and who she won't.

I must say I am quite happy with the way things are working (probably because she has taken my child) and I'm glad I don't feel like I'm being ripped off ie. forking out lots of money for a child to be tutored when they haven't a chance in passing.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:24 am 

I would hope that a good tutor would never be wasting the parents' money, regardless of the likelihood of the child passing. An effective tutor will be improving the child's mathematical, verbal and reasoning skills, and that can hardly be considered a waste of money! My friend's child's nfer English scores went up considerably from year 5 to year 6, and some of this must have been from the heavy concentration on vocabulary and spelling that took place in the year's 11+ tuition.

Remember also, that if you tell your child their scores they will want to have done their best. My nieces, who went to uppers, were happy that their scores placed them at the top of their upper schools. (Oh, for the days when nobody knew their marks....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:18 am 

Thanks for peoples ideas and thoughts.
I think I will take him along and see. It's not for a few weeks yet and wouldn't start tutoring until Xmas of year 5 so a while to go.
Sally-Ann - I do wonder sometimes how my 2 can be so different!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:14 pm 
Quote:
I would hope that a good tutor would never be wasting the parents' money, regardless of the likelihood of the child passing.

If my child did not have a cats hope of passing the 11+ and was just being tutored in VR I would not be happy forking out good money. I can improve vocab etc at home with reading, conversation etc. Why would I want to pay for a child to be shown techniques if they were never going to pass. All respect to a tutor who is honest about a childs chances.