Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tutor
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:56 pm 
Hi
I need advice I have spoken to a tutor who has been recommended. The tutor is charging £30 per hour which seems reasonable to me but she has said that she:
1: Does not want me to help my child at home with any homework given
2: Does not want any extra work to be given to my daughter
3: She also feels that I have left it “too late” to start given tuition for November 2008 entrance exam sitting.
Have I really left it “too late” or is she just trying to frighten me also do any of the parents whose children receive tuition specifically for 11 plus exams given extra work on top?
I would like to hear from any parents who have successfully tutored their child for the 11plus exams as that is another route I am looking into if I don’t find a tutor that myself or my child are comfortable with.

Thank
PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:09 pm 

PK,

You do not say whereabouts you live - I think you have enough time if you start now and don't take a long break over the summer.

You can tutor using resources you will find here but do check which are appropriate!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:15 pm 

Hi PK

First and foremost, which area are you in? We can advise you far better is you tell us that.

At first sight, this tutor is scaremongering, and possibly - just possibly - a bit of a control freak? She should not be setting "conditions" in this way! The following are my first thoughts:

- £30.00 per hour may, or may not, be the going rate for your area - once we know where it is we will advise you

- Exactly what is your daughter supposed to do when she hits a problem on homework?

- What does she mean by "extra work" - does this also mean extra work from school?

- To suggest that you have left it "too late" seems extreme - here in Bucks, the usual recommendation is to tutor from the January before the October exam, so Jan 2008 for Oct 2008.

I suggest that you approach this lady with caution, and consider other local options. Meanwhile, please take a moment to register on the Forum (it takes 2 minutes - see "Register" at the bottom of the page, no spam, no junk mail I promise) and then you can exchange Private Messages (PMs) with other people in your area as needed.

You will find every encouragement to DIY on this Forum, including several experienced tutors who give their time free of charge - like NOT £30 per hour! All the materials you are likely to need are also available from the e-Bookshop. As long as you have the sort of child who will accept being coached by a parent (and that isn't every child!), do give it serious consideration.

Good luck
Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:17 pm 

Guest55

Have you no life left at all????

You beat me to it every time! :lol: :lol:

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:34 pm 

Got another essay to write - so anything but that!! :lol:

Post subject: Tutor
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:06 pm 
Hi,

We live in Harrow, middlesex.

By extra work the tutor was talking about my daughter being given additional English, maths NVR or VR by myself or my husband.

Reading some of the other comments on this forum, £30per hour does sound excessive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:08 pm 

I would look in the specific parts of the site that are aimed at the schools you are considering -

Good luck and keep posting!