Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: speed
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:23 pm 
Patricia
Any tips on how to increase speed?
My son is fine with how to do all the types of 11+ questions but panics at the timing. He has finished some in the time but not all.
His birthday is end August, poor him.
Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:49 pm 

Hi ecsguest

Which tests are you doing - which area?

Patricia suggests, as do many coaches, that if you are doing NFER, leave out Type Z. They are the ones that say:

Johnny has 5 pence
Susan has 10 pence
Mark has 18 pence

How long does it take Susan to get to Glasgow?

Facetious, but you will know the type I mean! They are only worth one mark, and they take 1-2 minutes to solve, which isn't worth it. he can always go back to them at the end if he has time.

Try giving him an extra 5 minutes at this stage to complete the practice tests. Don't tell him what you have done, but then reduce that to 4 minutes, 3 minutes, etc. It should build his confidence up.

Have you tried the Tutors CDs? (They are available from this site and you can download a free trial.) I reckon they are the best way to check performance on each question type and check timing. They allow you to see if there is a particular question type that he is slow on, and then you can check his methodology for that one type.

Being computer games, boys enjoy them anyway!

Good luck!
Sally-Anne

Post subject: Speed
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:17 pm 
Thank you for the prompt reply and the tips about Z - you are right they do take a long time.
We are Bucks and he is doing IPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:13 pm 

Hi ecsguest

In that case I recommend the Tutors CDs even more highly. If he is already doing IPS papers with a good success rate, then you really need to move on to the CDs to isolate the problem and to give him more practice material. Suggest that he starts with the question types that he is most comfortable with, and leave out Type Z.

Do keep in touch.

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:51 am 

Dear Ecsguest

Agree with Sally-Anne...

1] leave Zs till last EVERY time.

2] Do not think that at 25 minutes he has to be half way, this often panics children. The first half of the paper may contain a number of time consuming codes, child will NOT be on Q40 at half time. [ I dont believe in the 30 second per question approach....some take 5 seconds some take 45 seconds]

3] Get your son used to the fact that some types take longer than others. It does not matter that he takes 60 seconds to complete a section of type A [ one letter fits all 4 part words] but it takes 5 mintes to complete a section of type C [ long codes ]

4] Get him used to a analogue watch, so he can keep an eye on the time for each section.

5] Do not spend too much time on a particular question, take a good educated guess, ring the question number and MOVE on. [ always put an answer in case there is no time to go back ]

However, I will NOT 'allow' guesses on maths and codes [all the information is there to get the answer CORRECT]

I will NOT 'allow' guesses on types such as Q [compound words] unless the child has made an attempt to write out the words...seeing 'things' visually 99% of the time shows the answer.

Good Luck....

Patricia

PS... Have you seen the Tips and Bucks section? [ further down the front page of the forum ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 am 

Hi
Does anyone have any guidance/suggestions as to what times should be for each type of question? Or maybe generally i.e. codes 60 seconds, opposites etc 30 seconds.
My daughter is very accurate, but speed is an issue at the moment, although at the mo we are only doing the very short tests a couple of times a week.
When should speed become a factor in practice (given that we are taking 11+in October)?

Maybe the Cd would concentrate the mind as it does time each question??

Thank very much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:21 am 

Dear Gemma

I think you should get started on the full lengh tests now [ you can use any short ones left over to dip into as and when]

I take speed quite seriously from the very beginning. I ensure parents time the tests, ruling off after 30 minutes [short tests] or 50 minutes [full lengh tests] They carry on timing for the rest of the test. When working out their scores I give them 2 results, one 'in time' and one 'out of time' This gets the child used to working fast and appreciating the time factor at all times. In my sessions, after the first few weeks, I constantly time eg 5 mins for that section of long codes, 2 minutes for those number/word related codes ie. crack the code, answer the 3 questions and transfer to answer sheet [type N]

I am a hard task master! [but it is interspread with a bit of light humour.... I reward with stickers and chocolate....]

Yes the CDs by the Tutors [ the only CDs applicable to NFER multiple choice 15/21 types] could help with the speed 'thing' and relieves a bit of boredom of pen and paper tests.

Patricia

ps when I have a bit more time I will post my time limits for each type of question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:36 am 

Thank you Patricia I really appreciate your time.
When you say full length-should we start on the 30 mins ones or go straight to 50 mins?
Can't believe how quickly time is going before October
One last question..
As a experienced tutor do you recommend choccy for the tutor i.e. me as well as the pupil (I can leave the stickers unless you have Jonny Depp ones)
Thanks so much again

Post subject: speed
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:39 pm 
Thank you all for your suggestions. I do appreciate your time and trouble in replying.
What a wonderful site for concerned parents!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:06 pm 

Dear Gemma

I thought you were already on the 30 minute tests, if you have them perhaps do 2/3 and use the rest to dip into.

Choccie for you too!

Patricia