Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:32 am 
Hi, I've just started out as a tutor, although I've been working in education for fifteen years.
Is there a professional organisation I should be joining?

Also, for any parents reading, what would you look for in a tutor, bearing in mind that I won't have lots of ex-pupils to point to as an example of what I can do? I have coached children for 11+, but only family so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:55 am 

As far as i know there is no professional asssociation. I still belong to GTC and NUT as I also do supply.

When I first started I joined an agency who kept details of tutors aand then matched them to parents. Theh tutor and parent then got together and discussed what was needed. The agaency fee was teh first 2 hours tuition fees and they did all teh leg work. I am responsible for my own tax etc.

It is difficult first starting off and you have to rely on word of mouth a bit. Depending on how many tutees you want to take on and how often you want to work, might it be worth registering on this site as a tutor? It costs £15 per annum.

I've found loads of good advice and help on here. I'm the other end of Kent to you in Shepway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 pm 

I'm doing it as a totally self-employed basis so far, as I used to be a childminder and I find the paperwork very similar. I've been tutoring for about five months, and advertise in the local paper. I'm also starting to get word-of-mouth people.

I have registered on this site as well - just! I found it today and find it's really helpful.

I teach for adult education, mainly GCSE English and Maths. It's just how to get past the first year or so, when I'm still building up a client base and getting my name out there. I suspect this sort of thing snowballs once people get to know you and start recommending!

You mean there's really no association for tutors? That surprises me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:37 pm 

aha!!

google is an amazing thing...

http://www.ntatutor.com/

plus the association of Tutors.

I googled 'association for tutors' and found quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:25 am 

Hmm - the one you list is based in America. There must be something in this country, surely? I'll look around a bit more.
I guess if there is one, it's not an organisation many tutors are actually members of then? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:50 am 
Hi

There is no organisation in the UK for registering Private Tutors.

Private tutoring is a completely unregulated vocation.

There is no requirement for any private tutor to have CRB clearance.

There are no requirements for a private tutoring business to have OFSTED type inspections.

As a self-employed private tutor working as a sole trader or in a partnership the tuition that you provide is exempt from VAT if the tutoring you provide is also available in schools, colleges or universities.

We have been tutors for over fifteen years and we do not entirely agree with the lack of regulation.

There was a registration system many years ago, but I think it was difficult to monitor and therefore was not continued.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:05 am 

Thanks for that. As I still work in schools I have a current CRB check and in fact the agency I started with insists that all tutors are CRB checked. I don't fit neatly into the boxes on union and GRT forms either!

Agree there should be some sort of regulations.

From teh other side of teh fence when I was a class teacher and SENCO I felt sorry for some parents who were employing tutors who were really out of touch with current practice (like the one who told a struggling reader to forget all about that "sounds" nonsense.) and who were, quite frankly useless!

I am keeping up supply because the 2 skills are very different, I want to keep up to date with what is happening in the school based environment and because I like the school atmosphere too.

This website has been very useful. It can be isolating working alone