Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How much?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:14 pm 
Hi everyone,

My name is Jenny and I teach part time. I was thinking about doing tutoring for the 11 plus in my spare time, a couple of evenings a week. However, I need a bit of information before I start:

1 How much do you charge for a hour's tuition - I thought of doing one to one, but I might be able to tutor 2 children at a time. Do you charge less if you have 2 children or do they pay the same as 1?

2 I wanted the children to come to me, as I have children of my own and can't go out in the early evening. Is this reasonable?

3 Do I need to provide all the books, etc. Or is it reasonable to ask parents to provide certain resources such as Bond?

Any more information anyone has would be a big help. By the way, I am a qualified teacher, so am police checked. How can I prove this to any worried parents?

Thank you

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:18 pm 
Considering that 37 people have viewed this thread, I am surprised that no one has commented!

If you are a parent - would you be prepared to come to someone's house and how have you proved that your tutor was police checked? How much did you pay an hour for tuition?

I have read some bad tales about tutors on this website - but I am not a bad person! I just thought that as I tutored both of my children through the 11 plus with success, I might be able to help some other people by tutoring their children.

I am in the West Midlands - and I am NOT touting for business, as I haven't fully decided whether to do this or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:21 pm 

Dear Jenny

How long is a piece of string!!

Your first step would be to do a thorough ivestigation of your area....need to know the system inside and out.

Ensure you know type of exams, type of questions etc....find out about admisssions/appeals.

I use my own material plus shop bought publications [ which I buy ]

Charging.....find out what is your local going rate. Re 1:1 or 1:2...Personally I would charge less for 1:2

As a registered teacher you are automatically police checked....prove your registration.

Be totally honest with parents .......ie you are new to the 'game'

Pick up tips from this website./forum

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:25 am 

Jenny1,

The going rates for a private tutor I have heard of in my area (South Bucks) are between £18 and £30+ per hour. Some tutors include the books, some don't, and also some make up their own papers, but then you need to be completely sure that they are suitable. But, overall the cost of the books represents only a fraction of tutor fees.
Most tutors charge a little less for two children at a time.
This is only what I have heard. Others have different information.

As a parent, I would expect to pay less for sending my child to you rather than you coming to us, and also I would like to have a proof that you have been police checked, but I don't know how you can do this.
I would also expect you to be totally honest about your experience and do as much research about the system as possible, as Patricia mentioned. And also your fees should probably reflect the fact that although you are a professional teacher, your only experience in 11+ so far is teaching your own children.
What would you pay and expect if you sent your child to a tutor like yourself?

This is a bit vague but I hope it helps.

As long as you are set out with your pupils best interest as heart, best of luck.

Catherine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:29 pm 
If you have been police checked you should have received a form confirming that from the CRB people, and that should provide the proof you need to parents. Otherwise I think most parents would accept that, as a teacher employed in a school, you will have been CRB checked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:09 pm 
Jenny

Private tutoring is completely unregulated, there is no need for CRB checking nor is there any need for the tutor to be competent that is why people post negative messages about tutors.

The key to developing a tutoring business is to start off by researching your area, using your own knowledge to determine what the 11+ consists of. You should know that nearly every LEA sets a different test, some only set VR wheras others set a combination of VR NVR Maths and English.

The resources available on the high street are generally only suitable for specific LEAs and some are not much use at all. In fact if you purchase the wrong resources you could be doing more harm than good. For example Athey, Bond and AFN contain questions that do not appear on NFER papers and NFER material does not contain six types of questions that appear on their own test papers.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:12 pm 

Hi, you say that some of the material is ot available on the HIgh Street - what other source do you to obtain it (I' not sure if ou inlcude this website etc as 'High Street'.
Also, if NFER do not publish questions that they set, how do you prepare for those?
Interested to read our comment about Bond. My son really enjoys them - sees them as puzzles rather than work, (long may that innocence continue..!)
Best Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:13 pm 

Sorry about typos in previous post, am cooking while typing.... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:22 pm 
The good old NFER question again!!

NFER sell four VR PRACTICE papers that contain a range of fifteen question types.

NFER produce a FAMILIARIZATION pack that contains twenty-one question types, this is what the tests are based on in the Wirral and Bucks.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:36 pm 

Dear Thea

As Mike has stated shop bought NFER only contain 15 types the real NFER tests used in the Wirral and Bucks contain 21.....you find these extra types by referring to the publishers IPS types H I K N O S

Patricia

Ps....Mike, geography not my best subject......why do we say the Wirral, we dont say the Bucks???