Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 am 
Am I crazy? I just feel that my son is not progressing as she should and with just 8 weeks left, time is very very important. The tutor had been giving him test papers and leaving him to complete them and then just telling him any incorrect answers without really explaining how to do things and I just feel this is not worth our time or energy. Trying to get a progress report is impossible and Im pretty sure all the homework he has been doing hasn't even been marked.

I sat with my son yesterday for about an hour with some material from the site and he said he learned more with me yesterday than he has in the last 4 months with his tutor. Says it all really. I feel quite annoyed with myself for not realising any sooner what the situation was, I sincerley trusted the tutor to be helping my son progress and they have done very very little really :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:09 am 

Hi Anon. We feel the same about out tutor. We have decided to continue with them anyway but use the information and test papers hand in hand with this site. What papers have you been using and where will your child be sitting the 11+? What area for GS are you going for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:27 am 

I typed a long reply and the internet went down!

I would say yes, stop the tutor.

I can't speak for other tutors, but I would spend teh lesson working through examples, some work on quick thinking (mental maths etc) and some games to reinforce key skills (vocabulary , compund words, times tables etc.) I tend to set the practice papers as homework. Mark the paper s and them plan for teh next weeks work to focus on teh problem areas, I also alternate with some writing if that is needed.

If your tutor os sitting with t eh child while he does the papers and there is no feedback then I don't think you are getting value for money.

As I said this is my personal opinion and I can't speak for others

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:58 am 

Hi anon,

I had a similar experience with my son's tutor two years ago.

viewtopic.php?p=2606#2606

I hope that it turns out OK for you. Six weeks is enough for your son to catch up quite a lot. I really think that motivated parents can do a lot better than mediocre tutors.

Best wishes

Catherine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:47 pm 
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, I think our best bet will be to stop. My son is getting such a large amount of homework from the tutor its not worth him spending several hours a week on it when there is no feedback and not even a mark. Time can be better spent working with me and his Dad on his weak points. Im just worried that I cant coach him as well as I need to, I struggle myself with the verbal reasoning questions :lol: Its such a shame there are so few tutors in my area otherwise I would have gone elsewhere, this person was literally the only one I could find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:59 pm 

Which area are you in??

Look on 11+ advice to see what type of verbal reasoning questions are in teh test. You can download teh Tuturs verbal reasoning methods and techiniques, it is brilliant! THer are also some very good free downloads via the home page covering all sorts of aspects.

Then either download teh most suitable e-papers or the interactive CDs. You can buy practice nfer papers and other books from tis site too. I recommend the IPS practice books for VR.

If you post on teh forum for your area you I am sure that someone in your area can tell you teh format of teh tests.

Good luck. If you get stuck post your problem and I someone will be bound to come up trumps.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 pm 
Just sent you a PM yoyo123 :wink: