Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 am 

Parents in London are so anxious about securing a school place for their children they are sending them for secret tuition and refusing to share the names of tutors, experts said today.

Read the full article here...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/educatio ... 65703.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:05 am 

I don't suppose that is new. Parents at our school are very unhelpful with one another about what they are doing at our school from a very early age. E.g. When school goes through long rubbish patches ( as it does ) people do not share the reading books or what works well for them at home for learning times tables. It is a dog eat dog approach. Some blatantly lie e.g tell you that their year 3 maths genius does nothing extra at home when they are doing online programmes several years ahead.

Look at the kent forum on here now - nothing helpful going on among those preparing for 2014.

With the stupid idea going round ( even on here ) that any form of prep is wicked, cheating, a form of child abuse or a sign that your child is not up to it, and the fear that schools will ask and judge one's child badly if they have prepared, the level of deceit will only go up.

The strange thing is this - schools are claiming to introduce tutor proof exams but some still want a declaration about tutoring. The best answer would be ( for a so called tutor proof exam school) "why do you want to know - it should make no difference either way."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:06 am 

Completely agree with mystery. Had an interaction with a tiger dad once whose older dc is in Kendrick so I asked for some tips and the answer i got was his dd just went through some papers in the summer that he got from WHSmith. Later i found out his dd went to an extremely extensive tuition centre for 3 years (from yr 3 to yr 5), plus some private teaching.
IMO, tutor proof tests are a myth. As long as selective education exists tutoring will continue which will raise the bar higher and higher and this in turn will flourish the tutoring industry (what a vicious cycle).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:11 am 

mystery wrote:
I don't suppose that is new. Parents at our school are very unhelpful with one another about what they are doing at our school from a very early age.

+ 1

I have gleaned more advise from this forum than parents nd friends at DDs school. Clearly - those getting the highly selective schools are pure genius! No one ever claims to have worked hard and infact allude to the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:33 pm 

Agree totally, SleepyHead.

Mystery, I am one of the evil, cheating parents who is helping their child towards the 11+ in Kent! I think the reason the Kent forum has been very quiet is that we don't actually know what we are preparing for. 'Reasoning', really! That could mean anything! I am taking a wide and varied approach, focusing on Maths, English, SPAG and 'reasoning' but this could be completely the wrong thing to do. DS1 has told me I am evil, to which I replied that maybe we should stop the sports activities, ban Minecraft and increase study from 30-60 minutes per day to several hours. He's kept quiet since! We have done GL variety pack 1 and we shall do another pack at Easter. I would rather spend time plugging gaps and expanding his knowledge than testing.

In fact, trying to make the Kent Test 'untutorable' and keeping us all in the dark 'til May could actually have the opposite effect - even more people are feeling the need to tutor (secretly, of course).