Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 am 

Does anybody know of a tutor in the Wirral area who would assess my son's suitability for grammar school?

My son has had no formal tutoring but i have given him two test papers to complete and he scored 84/85 and 80/85 on them, the first taking him 65 minutes to complete and the second 55 minutes. We intend to work on the timing.

I'd like to know if this is just a fluke or if he is genuinely bright.

I can't afford ongoing tutoring as i am a single parent, but would just like to know if there are such things as assessments.

His primary school gives no indication as to suitability for grammar school (i get the impression they are anti grammar) they only concentrate on SATS.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:28 pm 

Is your son taking the 11+ this year ?

If he is scoring that high why do you need a tutor? the passmark for Wirral is about 85% he is very close to that,and just needs practice over the timing.

I would recommened using the Tutors cd's on this site and their papers for practice ,if you buy these then I don't think you need to pay for a tutor,there are also lots of free demos on this site to give you an idea of how he's doing .

I would also look at the Wirral section on this site,lots of friendly people to help if you decide to tutor him yourself

Pensby :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:03 pm 

Hi Guest

As Pensby has suggested the Wirral section is the best place to post.

From your first posting I would guess that your son has completed the NFER practice papers.

These papers contain 15 question types.

The Wirral tests contain 21 question types.

Therefore a high score on the NFER papers would not be a good indicator for performance in the tests, because you are not comparing like-for-like.

Have a look at The Tutors free Verbal Reasoning Course on the free download section on the site, this links into the free demo material on The Tutors CD1. This will allow your son to cover all 21 question types without you having to spend a penny.

You are then going to need to purchase some papers that closely reflect the tests that take place on the Wirral. The papers must be 21 question types, 80 questions completed in 50 minutes. The Tutors and Susan Daughtery Bright Sparks are the closest. The cheapest way of obtaining tests is by downloading e-papers written by The Tutors that are available on this site.

If you need any more help at all, please post on the Wirral forum and we will reply as soon as we can.