Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tutor best practice
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:24 pm 

Hi everyone. I found this forum recently and it's been so valuable as we had no previous experience of the 11 plus test process. I just wondered if there was such a thing as Tutor best practice? (couldn't find a post on this):

- how would you expect a typical one hour session to be structured for a Year 5 child? (top sets at school - good all-rounder - CAT score 135)
- should they be tailored to suit specific needs?, ie would you expect your child to work from Bond 6-7 initially, or should current skills be assessed, or reference to CAT scores used if available?
- are you buying lots of extra material too to take to the sessions? I know some Tutors only charge a session fee and there is no need to purchase other materials unless you choose to do additional practice yourself - is this typical?
- would you expect your daughter/son to work through a Bond test (as an example) during the session, or should this be homework?

We have been using a recommended Tutor for a few months, but I'm now beginning to wonder how much tutoring is taking place - apart from when DD gets an answer wrong. Is this how it goes for most children?

Many thanks

Last edited by justbehappy on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tutor best practice
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:08 pm 

I commend you for investigating and making sure your money and the time of your ds is being spent wisely. I am puzzled by parents who pay for their dc's to go and sit in someone's living room and do Bond tests when all the answers are in the back. I am also puzzled by parents who go and buy all the materials for the tutor to use. Surely the tutor should be providing the materials? I am also puzzled by parents who seem to only have a very hazy idea of what their dc's are actually doing with the tutor and don't get any feedback at all from the tutor. In my opinion a good tutor should be actually teaching your ds and not just putting tests in front of him. He/She should do tests at home and then the tutor should be working out from the test what his weak areas are and what to focus on. He/She should also be providing detailed feedback and advice to the parents so that everyone is working as a team focusing on problem areas. Who recommended your tutor to you? DG

Post subject: Re: Tutor best practice
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:33 am 

Thanks DG. The recommendation was via a friend, whose own children, plus at least one other I know, passed the exam with exceptional pass marks. I admit to not researching much about the exam before as I don't wholly agree it should exist (in the way it does, ie the amount of study and time involved - but, you always have to work hard for the good things in life don't you - and at the end of the day, this is the way it is).

We have a very relaxed approach to it (only started study a few months ago) - wrongly or rightly I don't know. But the key thing is, I am making sure dd has covered the key skills/knowledge she needs by the end of August. On a positive note, I know all that dd has learned will put her in a better place, whichever school she ends up attending. There are pros and cons for all I think, but our aim is to gain a place at a very good school so that she has a good education and enjoys her time there (her choice, but with the potential she has shown, I think as parents we should provide this opportunity too).

I think because parents don't volunteer information about tutoring, or even discuss who is/isn't doing it, makes it difficult to ask for opinions/advice. I think the process is made easier if there are siblings and the first one passed, so you would naturally do things the same way for the others, as it's been tried and tested. Although, I wonder how many switch to home tutoring for siblings after having the first one tutored - or vice versa.

I know I went down the Tutor route as I would always wonder what we would miss otherwise. Apart from a few hints and tips on VR, the sessions are pretty much working through a series of tests/books (which we've bought). Although my daughters attention is more focused at these sessions (mainly), I'm, struggling to find the benefit of completing a 50 minute test, that we could sit and do at home.

Perhaps other children struggle more on the questions and that's where more help is provided. I don't know. Unsure and a little confused as to whether to continue or to take it on myself. Our approach has been very relaxed as I do feel that natural ability plays a big part. We're stepping it up in the summer though as a 10-15 minute test every other day with no school, sounds reasonable and keeps key skills/knowledge fresh. That's the theory anyway :?

I just want to feel I am giving dd the best chance and the required guidance to succeed. Perhaps having the session away from home makes it seem more serious/real to her and maybe we would lose that enthusiasm by trying to do it ourselves.