Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: when to start
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:49 pm 
should we start the process now for the exams in january. daughter has completed 2 assements and an essay scoring between 90 - 95%. the tutor is only doing the tests with her and is not offering any other tuition. should this be the case? could we do this at home?
any advice please.

Nige

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:11 pm 

Dear Nige

Firsly, will admit ignorance is Marstons a school?....if so, what part of the country.

Starting out on 11 plus coaching/tutoring is very much a personal option...need to ask questions, find out what tests are involved,ask tutors and parents......do not assume your tutor knows everything. Personally I would only employ someone who has been recommended.

If the tutor is babysitting while your daughter completes the tests.....find someone else.

A tutor should be constantly TEACHING. I personally teach for 55 minutes, chat to mum for 5ish mins and leave tests for parent to supervise at home.

If you are up for it, teach your child yourself.....its perfectly possible. It all depends on you and your daughter.....some prefer parent/pupil relationship...others say their child will not listen to them, only causing arguments......there are two sides to the story....whichever suits you best.

If you DIY, ensure you do your homework.....ask questions and visit this site for help/advise/support.

Patricia

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:48 am 
sorry the name of my family is marstons.

i am now very concerned that he is just taking our money she has seen him for 4 weeks and has only completed the tests given and an essay done at home, he does not tell her where she has gone wrong in the test. she has brought a couple home to do and then marked them the next week. her avarage score has been 95% in all tests taken, does she need the tutor or does she have the ability and need to learn how to do the tests.

many thanks for your help.

Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:05 pm 

90-95% seems like a really high score, Nigel, but make sure that the practice papers that have been given to your daugher reflect accurately the exam in content and difficulty.
I have had a bad experience with my son's tutor group who were using papers that were not totally appropriate, too easy, not quite the right syllabus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:19 pm 

Sounds very much like he's babysitting to me as well.

Are other parents using coaches in your area? Can you find out from them what work their tutors are giving as a comparison? Or talk to parents who have been through the process in previous years?

Which area are you in Nigel? It will help to know, as you can then check which test papers the tutor is using against the actual requirements for your area. As an example, in Bucks some tutors use the Bond Assessment papers for part of the preparation, when quite a lot of the question types in them are not relevant to Bucks. They are useful for "fun practice", as they are quite user-friendly, but no more than that. A score of 95% on one of them would bear no relationship to the real 11+.

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:14 pm 
many thanks for the reply.
i am in the plymouth area, in devon. i am not sure what they use down here. there are not many other parents to talk to, only 5 people from the school took the 11+ this year. all were succesfull.
the assesment she was given on week one was verbal reasoning familiarization test 9-10 from nfer nelson score 99%, mathes familiarization test 9-10 90%.
the others are from a print of practice papers by susan j daughtrey 1993.
i am realy stuck for what to do. i do not want to jepodize her education. but feel she is not getting enough from him. is it too early for him to be teaching when he may be still assesing her.
many thanks all for your advice.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:12 pm 

Dear Nigel

see.... www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/education/ ... +procedure

Ring county and ask questions about the testing procedure.

You need to find out what NFER tests are used, ie...verbal reasoning/non verbal reasoning or Maths......in addition are they standard format or multiple choice.

Which school are you trying for?

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 pm 

Nigel

I see your problem - the Devon section of the forum isn't exactly a hotbed of activity is it? However, suggest you post there as well and you might be surprised who turns up! Lincolnshire was the same until a few days ago.

Ask the tutor which papers are used in Devon, who sets them (NFER or other) and why he uses Susan Daughtrey's materials. They are fairly Bucks specific, so I'm quite surprised by that. Get all you can out of him and then if you end up having to DIY you will be much better informed and will have had some value for money out of him.

My son was coached for 8 months. The coach did one assessment at the first session and from then on it was teaching the whole way. Another assessment after 3 months, then tuition until around 6 weeks before the test, when they started doing actual practice papers. If your daughter's tutor is really still assessing her after four weeks, rather than teaching I think you need to start asking why? And what is his plan from now on?

I'm hoping that by posting back promptly I'll flush out some of the regulars on the forum who may know more about Devon. The more background information you can post about your system down there, the more help people can give you. What papers do they sit? Obviously verbal reasoning, but what else?

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 pm 

Dear Sally-Anne

You have just hit a raw nerve with me!!!!

Susan Daughtrey is NOT Bucks specific......used to be many years ago [ thats the ones Nigels tutor is using]

The ONLY Susan Daughtrey that should be used for Bucks is her Bright Sparks series of 4 tests.

I had a moan in a known bookstore re putting SD books 1-7 under the Bucks section......because they are NOT!!!!

Moan over!

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:01 pm 

Dear Nigel

Look under tutors on the main website ..... there is a tutor advertising for the Plymouth area......I'm not necessarily recommending them, because I do not know them.......however there is no harm in making a phone call....ask questions.....ie as per my last post to you.

Patricia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next