Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Group or 1:1?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:03 pm 

Hello

Am new to 11 plus and am wondering whether group or 1:1 tuition is the way forward?
Would anyone be willing to share any advice/experiences/tips to help with our choice please?

Thank you xx

Post subject: Re: Group or 1:1?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:34 pm 

Totally depends on he he child.
Is dc confident in t
His or her ability?
Will dc feel threatened by the presence of other children who may manage more easily or will it help dc to 'up his game'?
Does dc find it easy to concentrate in a group or are they better if they are one to one?

If not that confident and likely to feel threatened by the presence of other competitive children, and of course if you want the most concentrated effort on your child alone then one to on is thg way to go.
However, if your dc thrives in a competitive environment and is able to focus as part of a group, then it's a cheaper option to go for a group.

Totally depends you see.

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:04 pm 

Thank you Yamin151!

Food for thought!

xx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:19 am 

jnash wrote:
Hello

Am new to 11 plus and am wondering whether group or 1:1 tuition is the way forward?
Would anyone be willing to share any advice/experiences/tips to help with our choice please?

Thank you xx

Group anytime if you ask me. They learn from each other as well. Note that in 11+, how good you are.... is all relative i.e. who you are competing against.

1-1 does not allow to gauge how your child is doing against others and then you get shocking results in mock which makes you wonder where you went wrong.

However, if your child is really weak in academics then 1-1 is better (to start with) else he/she might crumble upon seeing bright children around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:39 am 

I tutored my DC myself so only option was 1/1. I don't think they necessarily needed that and because very few DC from their school sat the test (3 in DS1 year was a record, DS2 was the only one) they lacked the camaraderie element I feel a group session would have given them.

Personally unless a DC has a specific learning difficulty ( dyslexia etc) I think if 1/1 is needed then they are probably not suitable for a Grammar school.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:58 am 

I agree with Yamin but can add from my experience my first DC had 1:1 and moaned every week about going and left part way through the year and I took over :D

My younger DC had a group of 3 and loved it, half the battle for me is the DC wanting to go. Also I agree it is more fun to learn together and makes the DC competitive which in my case makes them work harder :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:09 pm 

100% group. It means they have lots of teachers and not just one. They all have different strengths and weaknesses and can learn so much from each other. They love being with like minded students and become great friends. Mocks become more real as they see what everyone else is getting and it makes them try harder. Knowing what I know now I would have driven hours to have put my dd's into classes for learning. I would have also known what the level was they needed to get to. But parents crave 1:1's because they think that is better as their dc has all the attention of the teacher. However once they experience the class situation they change their mind. DG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:43 pm 

Hello - DD was in a group and then we added 1 to 1 for maths. This is because the group showed her where her weaknesses were relative to the others and the 1 to 1 with a tutor and with DH meant that she could improve on targeted areas (and she did) and then start to compete back in the group.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:53 pm 

We have never had a tutor but friends had a 1:1 tutor who came highly recommended, charged exorbitant rates, provided their child with a paper to do on arrival and went off to watch TV while said child was doing it. It happened more than once, so the family rapidly discontinued the arrangement.

Be vigilant and careful.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admissions arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:44 pm 

I also heard - they only do 2 question in the whole hour; keep checking papers for most of the time; take phone calls during the session; give little or no feedback; give no stats on how many children failed; give no references; arrogant or get upset when challenged.