Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:14 pm 
Don't know if you have been following the Surrey section, but Willow has written in there about how her very clever daughter missed out on a place at Tiffin Girls. The Tiffin schools are the only selective schools around here and as such are very heavily over-subscribed. Her daughter was scoring 95% on the NFER practice papers, but as Willow says, 'the Tiffin test is MUCH harder'.
My question is, are there any practice papers that would prepare a child for this? Does anyone do 'extension papers'(!) or even 12+ papers?
Grateful for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:42 pm 

Dear Jess

The Tiffin tests are VR and NVR published by NFER. Although I do not know the correct answer......I doubt whether they are any harder than any other NFER tests used by other schools/counties around the country [ not talking about shop bought NFER]......Its more likely that so many more children are applying/having intensive coaching [ by parents or tutors]....that the 'pass mark' is artificially high.

Making it HARDER to pass but not a HARDER test.

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:50 pm 

Dear Jess

Forgot to add............its not that long ago that Bucks did not have the 11 plus as primary schools went up to year 7.....we had the 12 plus at that stage.

A number of shop bought papers state they can be used for 11 plus and 12 plus.

Patrica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:38 pm 
Thanks Patricia.
When you say that you are not talking about shop-bought NFER, do you mean that any NFER practice paper won't be as hard as the real thing, or are those available on-line e.g.on this site more challenging? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:02 pm 

Dear Jess

Sorry, a bit of a habit of mine to say 'shop bought'......the ones on this site are identical to the ones in the shops. I was differentiating due to the fact that 'shop bought' Nfer verbal reasoning only have 15 different types of questions.....and some counties/areas use 21 eg Bucks and Wirral.....no doubt other areas will use more than the 'stock' 15.

Where are you from Jess? Are you about to embark on the roller coaster or have you been there done that?

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:51 pm 
I'm from Wandsworth, hence my interest in Tiffin. No-one seems to be able to tell me what question types they use there though.
I have the 'roller-coaster' yet to come for both my children, although not imminently (oldest is in year 4). I'm keen to tutor them both myself when the time comes, so am trying to gather as much information as possible.
Thanks for your help-it's very good of you to give up your time and share your knowledge with everyone.
Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 pm 

Patricia,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Meg