Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:08 am 

really desperate...
need a math tutor near slough. please recommend
* not for a beginner child. its for a child who knows all topics and scores inconsistently between 70-95%
* don't want a tutor who thinks she is doing well. need a tutor who is passionate about getting into a preteens head and cracking some sense.
* she was once a G & T maths

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:10 pm 

Isn't 70-90% pretty good? Why so urgent? Have you tried online resources? Children who get on the G and T drift up and down in ability just like others, sometimes they learn quickly, sometimes less so, its like growing, periods of fast, periods of slow. G and T is well known to be flawed and only as good as the best children in that school at the subject, which can be a totally different thing nationally, so it means very little.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:19 pm 

this is what I mean... I need someone who would understand she hasnt reached her potential and that she might lose the race if she doesnt take responsibility; and not someone who would think she is doing really well when she had done poorly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:24 pm 

You may find that your daughter will respond better with a more relaxed approach. Try some maths for fun and praise her when she does well.

There is no 'g and t' label any more and it depended on the cohort in a school so it was meaningless.

I'm not sure what 'race' you are talking about ... the scores you mention are good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:45 pm 

so any tutors up for the challenge?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:34 am 

any tutors please PM me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:39 am 

SummersLazy wrote:
any tutors please PM me

Tutors probably scared off by the challenge!

You may well find that any tutor thinks things are going OK and as G55 pointed out the G&T thing depends on the cohort.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:09 am 

Maybe posting a similar request in Slough section might help. Know someone in North London but none in your area

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 am 

What promising references I've received through this forum. Thanks to all. But unfortunately I'm still looking for a challenging Math tutor. I sifted through and chose 3 tutors across Slough - Maidenhead to Reading but they couldn't solve their interview questions; a simple ratio question, a magic square and one about angles puzzle. Comes to show that there are quiet a lot of unfit tutors teaching from their dining tables.

My sincere advice to other parents.
Choose your tutor not by their hourly rate but by actually interviewing them.
Demand that you see the work done during that hour.
Do not leave your naive kids at people's homes. Parent should be able to watch them work(mustn't interfere though!)
A good tutor should be able to solve anything thrown at them at that moment. We shouldn't have to wait for them to get back to us later.
Paying fee is not the only job for the parents. Please analyze everything learnt that day to find out if there is any progress made in a certain sets of sessions or otherwise. Don't encourage Tutors who don't show progress.

Caleb Gattegno insisted that teaching should be subordinated to learning; that teachers must understand how people learn, and (rather than present facts for memorization) they should construct challenges for students to conquer. "If the student cannot conquer the challenge easily, the teacher does not tell the answer, but observes and asks questions to determine where the confusion lies, and what awareness needs to be triggered in the student."
This sums up what a good teacher is like. Everyone else does not deserve to be a teacher nor get paid even the national hourly rate.

Let me know if there are any up for a maths teaching challenge. I feel extremely lucky to have found a good English tutor who does tick all these boxes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:13 pm 

SummersLazy wrote:

Let me know if there are any up for a maths teaching challenge. I feel extremely lucky to have found a good English tutor who does tick all these boxes.

If you are willing to travel to North London