Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tutor photocopying
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:58 pm 

Hi,

Is a tutor allowed to photocopy books (extracts or full books) to give to his students to work with? Is it in breach of copyright or not? I have come across tutors who do that,some of them (for some unknown to me reason) conceal the source of the photocopy (no author or title mentioned), why is that?

Also, a question to tutors, do you ask your students to buy a book you are intending to work with or do you rather provide copies chapter by chapter as you go along?
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Tutor photocopying
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 pm 

Strictly speaking its illegal. Just like a music teacher shouldn't copy an exam piece for your DC to learn until you get the book. The odd time? I'm not complaining. But more than that? Bit dodgy and I'd be wondering what I was paying for if the tutor cutting costs like this!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:07 am 

What do you mean by cutting costs? I would imagine if a tutor won't provide me with a copy, then I need to buy the book yourself, he wouldn't buy it for me. I guess the price for tuition is for the tutor's time, not for the books.

Anyone with tutoring experience or knowledge of the issue, could you please shed some light on it? I know of a tutor who asks his students to purchase a lot of books, that would be the easiest option, but i guess most of the tutors just photocopy the exercises or some books and provide them to students without incurring extra cost on the student, so providing copies would seem very common for me, And ... Legal...?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:35 pm 

Well it all depends on what you set up with the tutor but as far as we were concerned,t he agreement was the tutor fee covered all necessary materials.

This is the legal standpoint, note the paragraph at the bottom where the photocopying allowance for non commercial use doesn't count.

Under UK legislation fair dealing with a copyright work for the purposes of private study or non-commercial research (with sufficient acknowledgement) does not infringe copyright.

The concept of 'fair dealing' is not defined. However, drawing on the separate limits specified by the CLA HE Licence, it is widely accepted that it is fair to copy for the above purposes the following:

"Books one chapter or 5 per cent of a book, whichever is greater
Journals an article or 5% from a single issue of a journal, whichever is greater
Conference proceedings a paper or 5% from one set of conference proceedings, whichever is greater
Short stories or poems in an anthology one short story or one poem of not more than 10 pages or 5% from an anthology of short stories or poems, whichever is the greater
Copying for commercial research, or for private study which is directly or indirectly commercial, is not permitted by this exception. Copying for commercial purposes is only allowed if the copyright owner's consent is obtained, or a copyright fee is paid, or it is made under licence."

It's from here.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/library/findin ... pying.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:51 pm 

Tutoring is a business so the tutor should have a licence if they are photocopying on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:57 pm 

And what licence is that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:59 pm 

http://www.cla.co.uk/

This is what schools have ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:09 am 

Thank you so much! I guess that answers my question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:41 pm 

I used texts over 70 yrs old to write my papers so that copyright wasn't breached.

I think it's 12% that anyone is allowed to copy.

Lots of tutors do copy texts. I just used my own to avoid any issues.

If a tutor is buying new versions of papers for every pupil, I assume that they would need to incorporate those costs. I would have needed to increase my charge significantly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:43 am 

I could understand copying some small section of a textbook, prose or an individual paper on an ad-hoc basis, this is what individual students do all the while, but to copy multiples of several exercises, regularly, or even whole papers - clearly a unit - seems like theft. Not a good example to youngsters who will later have to avoid plagiarism, or who might go on to rely on royalties themselves as writers, musicians etc. The publishers' business is eroded by such activity, inflating prices and depleting entrants to the market. No wonder quality materials become scarce - maybe contributing to expensive tutoring!