Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:08 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hyvtr

Interesting - please discuss :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:04 pm 

Managed to struggle through about half of the piece. Things that have woken me up at 2am... 'Did I remember to turn the iron off / lock the car? - yes. 'OMG I must get the children a tutor!' - absolutely not :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:54 am 

The head teacher from Tonbridge (?) made a couple of good points, particularly towards the end of the segment:

Private tuition is not essential; a child who gets into grammar school largely because of tuition, but who really isn't able for the challenge and the pace, will "flounder" once there and be miserable. Nobody wants that.

Serious amounts of money being thrown at tutors who may have any qualifications. Few or no safeguarding checks. Unregulated market. How much do you really know about the person who has access to your child?

My views on tuition have been stated previously. Exam prep is essential, as is covering the whole curriculum before the selective exams. Children need support. That support can come from home or your wider family as long as you have someone (a) with a decent grasp of formal English AND [someone (else?) with] a decent grasp of Maths, and (b) with enough interest in your child and spare capacity to spend time working together on a regular basis.

There's nothing wrong with paying someone competent for that help. But, there's also no guarantee that tuition, even competent tuition, will result in a selective place.

It is possible to DIY. We did, with the help of this forum. We never even phoned a tutor, never mind engage one. But someone has to put in the effort to figure out what is examined, what the necessary level is and how to get there. You also need to be honest about your child's ability and your own academic attainment and confidence.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admissions arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.