Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am 
:roll: can anyone help me....my daughter is in year 5, recent SATs went well and put her at the top of her year...Maths 5c Lit 4b....school says they will put her in a small select group for headteacher coaching next September...ie two months before the 11+, however i also found out that the other parents of "chosen"children have started home tutoring already...trying to find a tutor but finding it hard to know what to ask them, parents all seem reluctant to admit to using tutors,i think everyone is keeping it quiet in order to gain more of a head start...all i want is some honest advice about wether with current SATs it is likely she has a good chance...we have bought some practise papers and she is willing to work hard...also can any one reccomend a tutor in chelmsford essex?

i was hoping she would pass under her own steam, but that seems a thing of the past..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:40 pm 
I would say she has a very good chance with those levels. Can't help with tutors, I remember finding out last Easter (year 5) that everyone else had been tutoring for years and getting in a panic!

However, I got hold of some practice papers and we did 10 minutes every morning from September (year 6) and she passed fine. The school didn't do much, only one practice paper before the official practices. The only thing I wish I'd done more of was timed practice, as my daughter ran out of time. Even so, she got 140 (top marks) in VR and NVR despite guessing the last page of each.

So...don't panic, you've still got plenty of time. Good luck with finding a tutor if that is what you decide to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:00 pm 
From those socores you have the basis of a good start. For VR I bought the prctice techniques book 1-4 from S Daughty. Have been doing 1/2 -1 hour a week spread over several days. An advantage of you being the tutor is that you can do it at the optimum time for your daughter when she's not too tired or busy. My child may resent a tutor and to be honest we all have days when we'd rather not do something, also wants to carry on with after school activities such as netball & guides. Will save timed tests until end of the summer. Have also started a well known after school maths club, goes back to basics but have seen huge increase in automatic recall of the four functions plus ability to concentrate and understand working against the clock. Child just achieved a 4A in mock QCA results so it's not the ability that we needed to improve on but the speed and accuracy. It does seem that everyone else has a tutor, my child is in the minority by not having one (lots kids have had general tutors since year 2) but it doesn't appear to have given any of them a significant advantage. Take time to read with them with a good dictionary near by too, even just 10 mins 3 times a week will steadily improve vocab. Good luck and don't let the lack of tutor put you off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:42 pm 
:roll: thanks for the replies...we had a phone call back from a seaberts tutor today, who i've booked to do an hour a week starting next tuesday, but plan to keep an active eye on the homework they set. Tutor is planning on working through all the 30 types of VR questions to start with & then doing a timed test to see how it goes...sounds like a reasonable start...if anyone has any advice would be very grateful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:38 pm 

Hi Mickey,

If your tutor talks about question types, it is a good start!

You seem to have read quite a bit of this forum already, so you may have come across the posts about question types(mailnly from Patricia and Mike Edwards in Verbal Reasoning and Buckinghamshire). If you haven't, please ask! You also need to find out which ones are used in Essex. Look in the Essex section or ask in this section if you can't find what you want.

If you want to keep an eye on what happens, and be informed, (very wise!), you can also make sure that the paper format is multi-choice. Your child must be given papers of this format when he starts to practice speed.

To answer your other post, please don't feel under pressure by posts about home tutoring! There are home tutering fans , tutor fans, no tutoring fans, and sometimes disagreement on this forum.

Any more question, please ask!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:04 pm 

Hi Mickey,

I didn't write what I meant about multi-choice in my previous post. I meant, if the format is multi-choice, you need to practice with multichoice format.
It's very possible that Essex does not use multichoice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:36 pm 
:roll: well 1st tutoring session seemed a bit of a let down, i gave her a VR paper my daughter had sat with me the previous weekend, and she spent half the time telling her exactly what i had about the questions/answers.Will try again this week, but think i will probably save my money and do the job myself, daughter sat her first maths timed paper this week with no previous help and got 78% and did72%on english paper but only 48%on VR....does anyone know where i can get hold of VR types questions but in a repeated type format for her to practise the types that are new to her, or do you make up your own?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:41 pm 

The IPS '11 plus Verbal Reasoning - Additional Practice Question's should be what you want. It is divided into sets of questions that correspond to all the common questions types (about 25 types).