Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:57 pm 

I know I am being a bit previous as my DS is only in Yr 3 currently but I have been looking at tutoring options in my area and I just wondered what other people's experiences/views are on 1-2-1 or group tutoring.

I dont know if I will be going down either route at the moment as he is in an independent school so does get some practice through them. I also do Bond books (one level up from his age) with him at weekends but this is kept light and 'fun' at present but will ramp this up as he goes through Yr 4 and Yr 5.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:30 pm 

This will really depend on the area you are in and the options that are available to you and the format of your exams. I think CEM and English are better taught in class but some Maths concepts might be better taught in a one to one environment. DG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:40 pm 

Group tuition could be a cheaper option but good enough and sufficient if your dc is bright and catches quickly and pays attention (you know him/her best). For some children though (who are not that motivated, not good at paying attention, not quick at grasping some concepts when explained to) one to one or a small group would be a better option. It works the same as when a class of children is taught at school: some get it straight away, some do not pay attention or get easily distracted, finally some children need extra explanation and help from teaching assistants. You know your child best and could probably imagine what learning type he/she is. Definitely with one to one any child makes progress faster, but then again a lot depends on the tutor as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:56 am 

If your DC is academically able but is weak in just one area then have one to one sessions so they tutor can focus on that area. If your DC is an all rounder and you are just wanting to ensure they have covered anything that will come up in the test then I would go for group sessions.

I strongly disagree with Walthams on one point. If your DC takes time to grasp concepts then DC is not suitable for a Grammar school education so look for other options where DC will be happier and more confident.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:58 pm 

We used group tuition and it was great for us. My son is a very bright good allrounder so for him all he needed really was familiarisation and perhaps a little practice on what was likely to come up on the exam. I also liked it because it was less intensive and I didn't want him stressed out.

However, having said that I can see that if your child needed to focus on specific areas or was easily distracted then 1 to 1 would maybe work better. Also if using group try and get some local recommendations. I found the company we used excellent but I have heard that it's not so great in other areas of the country.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:52 pm 

Agree with SSM and DG - we went for group tuition and then supplemented with 1 - 1 for areas we identified there as needing a bit of extra "oomph". The group gave an idea of what standard to aspire to and proved to be motivating (albeit maybe not at first! intimidating!) and social - which I think is important as revision and learning can be a lonely place.