Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tutoring Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:34 am 

Hi, I'm thinking about a maths tutor for my 10 year old, what questions should I be asking them ?

Post subject: Re: Tutoring Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:28 pm 

The most important one is how many students have they got into the school you want your dc to go to.

There are a lot of different exam formats so you need to be absolutely certain that the tutor knows exactly what that is.

I would also be asking to meet a parent from last year and to hear details of how the students got on in their exams this year.

I would also want clarification as to who will be buying the materials and if your dc will be able to take the materials home with him. DG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:40 pm 

I also want to see a degree and teaching qualifications.

Too many 'tutors' do not have any formal teaching qualifications at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:38 pm 

For me, it was ensuring that the style of the tutor fitted with dd. The style I wanted would not be what everyone would want - I wanted someone who was relaxed, who didn't really mention the schools much, who focused on weaknesses without making them seem like big issues, who made my dd feel that going there was the best bit of her week. And that's what we got. But we got someone who is quite relaxed, who wanted the students to do well for their own sake rather than their statistics and for whom this was 2 hours out of her very busy week - not someone totally focused on the tutoring and exams. That wouldn't suit everyone and didn't suit some of the parents who used the same tutor.
Personally (and I am not a tutor so may be talking nonsense) I would be worried if a tutor took my child without making an assessment of their capabilities at the beginning. Their own statistics and results are going to be important to most tutors; if one took any child without assessing I would worry that they didn't really know what they were doing. If a tutor thought a child was extremely unlikely to pass then I would not want to be wasting my money sending them there (assuming that was the only goal of sending them to a tutor).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:44 pm 

Thankyou for your replies I have made a note of your questions they are very helpful... I agree with you fully loobylou, my DD struggles with maths & I don't want her to feel stressed but I'm looking for someone that she feels relaxed with . My DD needs someone that will boost her confidence & enjoy the subject... I've put a list of questions together as Tutors are expensive so am looking for someone that is qualified .