Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:29 pm 

Hello,
I really don't have the £30 per week to pay for tutoring and my son is quite disciplined when it comes to homework so I think I could tutor him myself. We live in Kingston upon Thames and he wants to try for Tiffins. He's currently in Year 5. I've looked at the list of books/papers to buy on this site and that is very helpful but:

1. When should I start the preparation?
2. How often should he practice?

I am wondering if I might be biting off more than I can chew and if further down the line I find I can't explain things clearly to him it might be too late to find a tutor with space.

Has anyone successfully or unsuccessfully tried tutoring themselves? What would you advise?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:39 pm 

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find a number of parents on here who tutored their DCs themselves successfully (along with a number who used a tutor and were unsuccessful too, so it's no guarantee).

The key is to research what you need to do for the school or schools you are interested in. TBH parents should do that anyway even if they paying a tutor, as you need to assure yourself that the tutor is teaching the right stuff.

Year 5 seems to be a good time to start, how much work you do and how you structure it depends on you and your DS. The plus of DIY is that you get the decide what is best for you.

I diyed and we did little and often, others did it differently.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:58 pm 

Welcome!

I am not at all familiar with your preferred school but if there is great attitude from you son, then that's massively helpful.

Do you research as suggested. Talk to year 6 parents that you trust. Make sure you are fully familiar with the admission policy, entrance process and format of tests, including the exam Board. Use Google Advanced Search to find everything on this forum that relates to your school.. You won't find a better research tool.

Make sure the basics are covered and covered again. Get the past papers early so you know where you are heading... But don't panic when you see how far you still have to go. A year is a very long time and they can make a lot or progress

He needs to really buy into the idea of a routine. It's important to get him into a routine such as a few minutes of work before he goes to school, or an hour after school on some set days or weekends. Do what you feel is best for his routine.

If you're not using a tutor then you need to have the time and patience to teach him. This means working on areas that need improvement.

We tried tutors, and it mostly didn't work out. Lack of fit of personality , long stressful journeys through traffic, homework set that didn't fit with school homework. But maybe we were unlucky.

Definitely recommend mock exams. Book one of them in early summer to assess real gaps. Also helps with exam conditions, techniques.

I wish you luck. Main thing is to try to maintain calm as much as possible. This comes from his determination as much as yours.