Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Online tutors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:38 am 

Just found a site on the internet which offers online maths tutoring for children. It looks like there is an initial assessment and then they get various online exercises geared to their level. I assume it is computer based rather than contact with a real person. I think it was about £25 a month.

I have also read in the newspapers about companies offering tuition via the internet from students overseas.

Just wondered it anyone had actually tried any of these and found them of value or if they are just a way of making money out of panicked parents!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:47 am 

Hi Nou,

My children's school has recently set up internet access for the Year 6 children to access at home, which the school is funding, presumably in a bid to improve their KS2 results. It seems OK, gives online scores and feedback. However, given that you have NumberShark, which we used for our daughter when she was much younger and as you say is excellent, I would be a bit hesitant to pay over for an interactive resource. You should also be aware that there are various sites (BBC for example) that have very basic interactive Maths resources too.

Have posted on your other thread about the Maths resources that we used, don't think that a computer is any substitute for individual tuition, just my opinion though.

HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:28 pm 

Thanks for your advice. I agree that individual tuition is preferable. There are so many great teaching resources out there and I cannot understand why they don't use them in my daughter's school. All they are given are the most boring and repetitive workbooks. We tried a couple of the Carol Vorderman books but although she did the exercises it was under protest! She likes computer related things so I thought she might react better to that. I think the price it extortionate though for the online subscription and as you say it is probably not up to the standard of NumberShark. I am also a bit wary of Repetitive Strain Injury from using the computer a lot - my younger daughter uses WordShark a lot (she has mild dyslexia) and is already having problems with her right arm!