Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A question for tutors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:18 pm 

I am a tutor and have now lost half my pupils as they have taken their 11 plus. I need some new recruits! Apart from posting my details on this site where is good to advertise? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 pm 

if you find out please let me know!!

I am hoping for word of mouth recommendations. I found last year that demand started towards teh end of teh schoo year in Kent as our tests were not until Jan. may start earlier if teh promised changes take place.

Have you tried the local paper? I am registered with a locla tutoring agence. They take my first 2 lesson fees as payment, but I have had several referrals from them and everything is coordinated by them. Worth considering..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:17 pm 

Yes, I am hoping for the word of mouth! I do think this the by far the best way - I did get in contact with an agency but the money was so terrible that it would not be worth it.....maybe I need to do some more research!!!!

LOcal paper could be good.........................

THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 pm 

the agency I am registered with is quite good. They have my details and those of lotsof other tutors and then match any enquiries with a tutor and pass on teh information and contact details. The first 2 hours tuition goes to the agency and then I am paid direct. I am self employed and pay my own tax, liability insurance and NI contributions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 pm 

are you allowed to say which agency or what area on this site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:44 pm 

Via PM...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 pm 

Hi Sparkle

Work out where the kids go every day after school and ask for permission to post some good, professional notices on their boards. Add a little plastic pocket with business cards in it for people to take away.

Ballet schools, swimming pools, leisure centres, village halls, Scout huts, church halls, community centres ...

Mention all the important things that reassure parents - CRB checked, references available, experience. I would be happiest responding to an ad that gave a landline number, not just a mobile, but you may not want to do that.

Just my thoughts - mainly pinched from the endless hours spent reading notice boards whilst waiting for my kids to come out of many of the aforementioned! :D

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 pm 

Sparkle

I have sent you a PM.

Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:06 pm 
You could always move to Birmingham and then you would have a waiting list. I like to think it's because I'm mega-talented but I suspect the fact that I am fully booked to November 2009 has more to do with our dire state schools and the sheer difficulty of the King Edward Foundation exam.
When I first started, I did try advertising in local newsagent but got nowhere. Every pupil I have ever had has come from personal recommendation because parents, quite rightly, prefer to go by reputation rather than take a stab in the dark.
Have you considered offering some support SATS work which would fill in the period from January to May? I also do GCSE maths sometimes between January and May.