Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:57 pm 

Hi, I am new to this site and finding it very useful, My daughter is currently in year 5 and has decided she would like to have a go at the 11-plus, so the question is do we definately need to get a tutor ?. We downloaded some sample papers off the internet and she is working through them with me and her dad and seems to be doing well, but just dont know if she will be at a major disadvantage if we dont get a tutor.
Would appreciate any advice???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:13 pm 

I would say YES.

Depending on your financial circumstances you may wish to go down this route. Alternatively, if you feel you understand the requirements of the papers, you could tutor your child yourself. My daughter fights me but works brilliantly with her tutor.

Whatever you decide, your child will be competing with other kids who have been tutored. If you want a level playing field you will need to get her familiar with question types regardless of her ability in English and Maths at school.

I did not have this advice last year. I only wish I had :wink:

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 pm 

Thanks Tracy, I will start asking around about tutors. How about the online tutoring, any experience of these??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:38 pm 

No, but I'm looking at purchasing some software from this website soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:47 pm 

I don't think it's essential to have a tutor, especially if your DD is bright & willing to work with you at home.

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 pm 

I think it depends very much on your daughter as to whether you have a tutor or not. It is expensive, but I know that my son would not have accepted me trying to teach him. He rejected all attempts by us to get him to practise with the books. His tutor was quite strict and he respected her authority when it came to homework and lessons.
He didn't enjoy having a tutor at all, but even he admitted it did help him with his general schoolwork over the year. As he made it into the grammar school he wanted to go to we are happy that it was all worthwhile.
I would say yes it is best to go down the tutor route. Better than saying "if only" in a years time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:33 pm 

I couldn't agree more, Melinda!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:06 pm 

i totally agree with Melinda.I was prepared to go down the home tutoring route and would have felt capable myself of delivering it.However,DS was not having any of it-I felt he needed a tutor to give him the structure and it certainly also helped him with his schoolwork.I am so glad that we paid for the tutor in the end-I certainly didn't miss the strops and tantrums that I know would have happened if I had home tutored.
I think it boils down to knowing your child and how they learn.I have not regretted how we did it,as DS got his grammar place,the money for us was certainly well spent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:42 pm 

I guess it also depends on how badly you want a grammar school for your child. Here in Bexley we have some excellent grammar schools and some pretty dreadful non-selective schools. So for us, it was very, very important that our children pass the 11+. I like to think that they would have passed without any formal tutoring, but, quite frankly, I wasn't prepared to take that risk. My eldest two have both passed the 11+ and both worked much better with a tutor (actually, in a group at a tutorial centre) than they would with me. My second, in particular, was very resistant to any coaching from me and also needed the formal structure the tutoring gave him to boost his confidence.

One thing I would say if you do use a tutor is that you'll have to get used to the comments like, "of course my child passed without a tutor". But if you read some of the posts on this site it's clear that many "DIY" parents push their children very very hard indeed (some really horrific posts about doing timed practice tests the night before the real thing!). My children had an hour and twenty minutes at a tutorial centre pnce a week (excluding school holidays) for about 9 months leading up to the tests - (the last 20 mins was spent on fun computer games). For each I started doing practice tests with them at home during the summer holidays (exams in November) but not to a huge extent - certainly with my second son we only used the NFER papers and just did the NVR and VR. It worked for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:56 pm 

This is just my opinion.

I think that some children definitely need a tutor for Maths - particularly if their primary school does not cover all the topics necessary before the 11+ (which most don't - a lot of the maths needed is year 6 level)

BUT I am not sure at all about needing a tutor for VR and NVR. Practice, yes, but you can do that at home with downloaded papers. But I remain unconvinced about the value that a tutor can add.

My dd is clever but by no means super bright. She did have a tutor for maths, but that was actually nothing to do with the 11+ - it was because she was losing confidence in her maths and needed a boost - which she would have needed whatever secondary school she ended up at. We did some VR and NVR papers at home over the summer. She started off not scoring very well, but once she got the hang of the papers she improved rapidly, the plateaued at what I think was her natural level. We kept up the practice in a very low key way, over the Christmas holidays and she passed comfortably, and is now busy, stmulated and happy at a high achieving grammar.

I'm sorry about the saga - but I do think it is easy to be sucked into the tutoring loop - and our story shows that it is not necessarily essential.