Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 12+
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:29 pm 

Can anyone help? My son passed his Bucks and Slough 11+ eighteen months ago (end of 2006). He was fortunately offered a school in both areas, and we chose the Slough school. He is desperately unhappy and we want to move him - but Bucks have said he must sit the 12+. Apparently the 11+ is only valid for a year, and the fact he is already at a Grammar school ( and the school can prove he is doing well educationally) does not count. Our doctor has also written. There are places vacant at the school of choice (his sister is there and it's catchment) and the school is happy to take him. It seems totally ludicrous that he should have to sit another test after already passing two 11 pluses. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:16 pm 

Those are the rules and have always been. When people move from one GS area to another they have to be retested.

You will have to go through the late transfer process. Ask if it's too late to sit for September entry -

Post subject: 12+
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:45 pm 

I understand and agree that a child needs to pass the test for the area he wants to attend, but my son did pass the 11+ test for the Bucks area. He has only been in his present school 2 terms, and now they say he has to take a Bucks 12+ as well. Most children taking the 12+ are ones that either failed the 11+ first time, or have moved into the area. It seems they like to make things difficult just for the sake of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:30 pm 

No, it has always been like that - his 11+ was taken five terms ago and the qualification lasts a year - you are being treated by the rules - maybe if you had asked in term 1 it would not have been necessary.

it is the same if you take 12+ and there is no GS place, you have to take 13+ to seek a place the following year.

I tested someone from a Kent GS many moons ago and they did not get through our entrance test for KS4 - a child from an Upper school did.