Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: For mike ,the tutors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:59 pm 

hi
my son is practiceing for his 11 plus in sept in lincolnshire. we have been downloading your tutors verbal reasoning tests. we have completed the 15 min tests pack one and two and will buy the next one soon. we paper of yours will closely mirror the difficulty of the actual exam that my son will sit. and what score on your papers would indicate a pass.
(sept birthday)

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:52 pm 

Dear Dans Mum

I believe Lincs use Standard form not multiple choice. The 21 types are for NFER Multiple choice.

Standard form can use some of the 21 types but not all, in addition they include other types that do not lend themselves to Multiple Choice for example anagrams.

Take a look at this old Lincs Link..

viewtopic.php?t=589

For standard form, Susan daughtrey Books 1 to 7 are suitable.

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:17 am 

hi thanks
bit confused now, i have got the technique qnd practice books from susan d, but only 1 to 4 dint know it went upto 7 and cant find them on here? where do i find them? also got the bright sparks paper but my son found them quite difficult.
also when used the tutors papers we ignored the multipul choice bit and mrked the wrote on the question paper. there was only a set of 5 questions that he needed to use the multipul choice sheet for.

xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:43 pm 

Dear Dans Mum

Susan Daughtrey book 5 contains 20 questions of each type [extra to those found in 1-4] Book 6 and 7 are graded tests [5 in each]

Bright Sparks publish in standard form in addition to the muliple choice.

Techniques differ for M/C and Std.

Question Types may and can differ. Standard form can include anagrams, word grids, finding missing numbers from laid out sums, codes involving numbers and letters. [all found in the books 1-7]

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 pm 

hi
thanks for your help, i cant find the books 5,6 and 7 but can find the further practice book and the graded tests one and two,is it these that you are talking about?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 pm 

Dear Dans Mum

My apologies for the confusion in the book numbers...

There are 7 books in all, the first 4 covering method and technique, followed by further practice book and 2 books of graded tests.

It still stands that standard form tests will not have exactly the same types as multiple choice. If your area/school is using standard form then use the 7 books from Daughtrey and possibly bond.

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:46 pm 

thamkyou so much for the advice, i will now buy the books that you have recommened and get him to work through those. we have already got the bond non verbal in fourth and more fourth papers and the fifth and advance bond papers in non verbal. was not sure if bond verbal was relevant to us. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 pm 

Hi Dans mum

The Tutors level one paper have been written to introduce students to the 21 question types.

Level two contains questions that we consider are the easier questions on the tests.

Level three contains a range of what we consider are the closest to the average/above average questions.

Level four contains what we consider to be the most difficult variances within each of the question types.

We have not considered how pass mark on a short paper would reflect a score in a real paper, as short papers are part of the preparation process.

Our long papers, 80 questions, are more reflective of the real tests and a score above 85% would be a good guide for potential in the real tests.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:38 pm 

hi Patricia

i got the books you recommended, my son as completed two tests this week from the graded tests book one. in test one he scored 80percent and test two he scored 89percent ,we went through the wrong answers together and they were just simple mistakes, but he leanrnt to check his answer more carefully.

do you think these scores are on target for a pass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:24 am 

Dear Dans Mum

The Susan Daughtrey tests are graded in difficulty so the first book is a bit easier than book 2. I have not got the books in front of me, take a look at the blurb, it will explain the difference.

Scores and 'passing,' how long is a piece of string. It really does depend on the area/school/county you are applying for. For Bucks you need 'about' 86% In LIncs, I do not know.....sorry.

Please note: just so not to add to any confusion Dans Mum and I are not discussing the Bright Sparks series by Daughtrey.

Patricia