Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:04 pm 

Is it wise to start tutoring from Year 4? I know the advice is to start from Year 5 but friends who have children at Tiffin Girls and Boys are telling me that lots were tutored from Year 4.

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:30 pm 

Hi Jenny

I know children at Tiffin who were not 'tutored' and had a bit of help in the summer before the exam. For my DD tutoring in Year 4 would only have served to mar her primary years experience for longer and increase the pressure of expectation, whic I really wouldn't wanted to have done. That said I'm sure if I had known what others were doing I would have panicked and capitulated! Surely it can't be healthy to start so soon? Definitely in the past for able children (ie those the schools are aiming to select) it hasn't been necessary? Now? Who knows. I suppose it if carries on like this people will be starting in Year 3, which I think would be a terrible shame. Mind you, you do hear of people playing Mozart to the womb!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 pm 

OMG ............. I need to jump off this wave of paranoia :shock:
Thanks for the reality check.

Jenny :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:01 pm 

jenny wren wrote:
OMG ............. I need to jump off this wave of paranoia :shock:
Thanks for the reality check.

Jenny :D

There're many wise words already written elsewhere in the forum, so I won't repeat them. But it is a very sad state of affair that "competition", a buzz-word at the height of Thatcherism, is creating so many psycho-obsessive parents whose main desire is no more than wanting the best available education for their kids. One might argue that this is a natural consequence of parental choice ... but at what cost? The child's emotional and psychological (healthy & proper) development must feature in that balancing act.

Jenny: Most, if not all, selective grammar schools would emphasise that their entrance exams do NOT require any "additional preparation" and that they are "coaching-proof". Of course, if you believe that assertion, then there's little point in the additional tutoring, except for just the minimal amount of "familiarisation" exercises so that your child would not be fearful of the exam papers on the day.