Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:14 am 

After some consideration, I decided to start my Yr4 child with a tutor after Easter to see if they thought she was a viable candidate for the 11+ and Grammar School work. She is in a very, VERY small school and although top of her class and year, thats only 26 children so I need to find out how she compares with the more general cohort. The tutor I spoke to said he would be able to tell by the summer holidays whether she was suitable or not.

My problems are these. First, the "appointment" was made by telephone and it was quite short and brusque. I simply do not feel confident leaving my child with a complete stranger in their house! Im sure many other parents must have had similar concerns - I would have preferred an initial consultation and visit to decide if child and tutor were well matched but this didnt seem to be "how it was done" with this particular person.

Second was the price, I wont reveal it, suffice to say its £11 per hour MORE than I was expecting, and much more than what most people in our area tend to pay.

Third, paying this rather high fee per week, is the tutor REALLY going to be honest with me about her chances? I feel for the sort of fee charged, its in the tutors interest to keep her on whatever!

Lastly, he was vague about whether the class would be "shared" or not. My neighbour paid considerably less when her child shared the tutor (not this one) but there was no discussion about a reduction if it was a shared class.

Overall, Im not feeling happy about it at all. Although Ive made the appointment, its not till the end of April and I feel uneasy already! My gut is telling me this is the wrong person to go with, but being new to all this, maybe Im just being silly!

Any advice or comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 am 

hi jessmum

If you feel uneasy then don't take it any further. Most tutors come via recommendation (certainly my ds's did). I wouldn't leave my child with a stranger either! Ask about and see if anyone can recommend a tutor?

Secondly I would expect the tutor to be able to tell you within a much shorter timeframe than that whether your child has potential to pass. I know nothing is guaranteed but I would expect them to be able to give you a good indication with a couple of weeks based on the other children they teach.

Again going back to our tutor, she carried out a one hour general assessment including a short story ('All about me'), some maths and some reading and indicated that she thought it was worth pursuing.

Thirdly- Yes if children are being taught in groups then as a rule the cost is lower. Two thirds of the cost in the case of the tutor we use.

Hope this helps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 am 

Hi jessmum

The first indication of a good tutor is a recommendation from another parent.

Private tutoring is a completely unregulated industry, there is no requirement for a private tutor to have CRB clearance.

You should insist on meeting a tutor at the place of tuition.

You should make yourself aware of the format of the 11+ test in your area and insist on seeing the preparation papers and methods and techniques used for tuition.

The tutor should have a good range of relevant material, from beginner to advanced level, with short and long question papers.
Children should not be presented with full papers at the level of the actual test at the beginning of tuition

It should not be expected that a tutor of a Y4 child could give an indication of the child's potential for passing the tests in Y6. There vocabulary acquisition, mathematics ability and reasoning skills would not be developed enough. The best you could expect is a subjective guess.

One-to-one tuition rarely consists of a tutor spending the whole time with a student, as students need to work independently most of the time.

Small group tuition is the most effective, with groups of no more than six children in any one sitting.

Small groups are less intimidating, are more sociable, are more condusive to learning and can be considerably cheaper than one-to-one tuition.

It is a good idea to prepare your child in advance of tutoring and be prepared to supplement tuition with work at home when tutoring commences.

For Verbal Reasoning, have a look at some of the free downloads in the CD section, familiarise yourself with the question types, so that you can explain them to your daughter if she has any problems.

At all times, whenever you are unsure, seek advice from this forum.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:51 pm 

Hi jessmum

I absolutely agree with Mike and Tiddlymum - you are uneasy about this person's manner, the tutoring arrangement is unclear, the price is too high and you are being asked to leave your daughter with a man you have never met! Don't do it!!!

As Tiddlymum says, a tutor should be able to tell much more quickly whether your daughter is 11+ material or not - that is why some tutors do an assessment session before taking a child on.

Take a read of this, and if you can't find a reputable tutor by word of mouth, use the information on the Forum to DIY.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/find_good_tutor.php

As a footnote, the one point on which I disagree with Mike is whether one-to-one tuition, or tuition in small groups is most effective. That very much depends on the individual child, and only you can decide which will be most suitable for your daughter.

Sally-Anne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:53 pm 

Quote:

My problems are these. First, the "appointment" was made by telephone and it was quite short and brusque. I simply do not feel confident leaving my child with a complete stranger in their house! Im sure many other parents must have had similar concerns - I would have preferred an initial consultation and visit to decide if child and tutor were well matched but this didnt seem to be "how it was done" with this particular person.

Do not leave your child with a complete stranger. Ask for staying for the 1st few lessons if all possible. You can stay in the other room during the lesson/ assessment so that you will not disturb them.

My son had a tutor for his 11+ exam 2 years ago. I wanted one to one tuition for an hour and willing to pay the full hour rate for that purpose. I was promised for that.

Also, when my son first started his lesson with this lady tutor, I asked for permission just to stay for a lesson or two. She refused which I found a bit odd. I decided to wait outside her house ( she did not know that because I parked my car a few houses away) during the 1st lesson. Later I found out that she refused because she did not want me to know she would have another 2 students joining my son's lesson after 15 mins later I have left.

I was very angry and thought the trust had gone. I decided later I did the tution myself with help from another tutor who could supply me the right materials for the 11+ exam. My son passed the 11+ and he is happily studying in the GS now.

My point is to trust your gut feeling. Be happy with the tutor you use. If you are not happy, DO NOT GO FURTHER OR LEAVE because you are wasting the money and most importantly your child's valuable time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:13 pm 

Definitely trust your instincts. If you're uneasy with the situation, which I would be too, then don't go ahead with it.

Also, I would trust your own judgement as to whether you think your child is suitable for the grammar school system. You know them better than any tutor ever will and if you think they'd be happy in a grammar school and are bright then go for it, and if you want a tutor find one you're comfortable with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm 

trust your instincts.

When I am asked to tutor a child I make an appointment to meet the child and parent, we discuss what they want from the sessions and I talk to the child , finding out what they like and dislike about school etc. I don't charge for this meeting.

I prefer tutoring 1:1 and work through problems with the child. Th elessons are tailored to the individual. we also play a lot of maths and vocabulary based games. Test papers are done as homework and then I go over the difficulties with the child and plan work to reinforce that subject. I also e-mail suitable internet links and keep in touch with the parents. Some parents prefer me to work alone with the child but I am also happy for teh parent to sit in on the lessons.

You are paying for a service, so make sure you are happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm 

Thank you all for your valuable input - the advice has been brilliant.

I am going to search around a bit more to find a tutor I feel more comfortable with I think.

Thanks once again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:24 am 

Asa tutor for over 16 years I am shocked that any tutor would ask a parent to leave them alone with their child on the first visit.

If I am working on a one to one basis with any pupil I will always ask the parent to stay in my home until I have got to know the child. this not just for the child's sake but also for my own protection, sad to say their are some children out there with over active imaginations.

Trust has to be in place between the parent and the tutor before any tutoring arrangement will work. It is pointless forgetting to tell the parent about any other pupils that may be arriving during the visit of the child as the the child themselves will no doubt inform the parent later.

Also, I would ask the person who is to do the tutoring if I could see their CRB certificate, any practicing teacher will have one and anyone who does not can apply, through an agency to get one, if they are serious about tutoring this should not be a problem to them.
dont rely too much on any CRB disclosure it only tells you about the past not the future.

Post subject: Tutor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am 

Hi,
Does anybody know's any private tutors for 11+ in slough area. I am desperatly looking for one as my daughter has to appear for the test in october and she needs bit of a help. :(