NVR test LAtymer

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Dear All,

Exactly 1624 names were down for the exam. My son was in the very last session. Unfortunately he was so terrified on the day (rather too young as he is only 10 and 2 months) that he did no manage to finish all questions in the last two sections. I felt very sorry for him to have to go through all of this at this age. Nothing like this was every asked from me until I was 17, and I am now a university professor. Makes you think...

All the best,

Xeni
NL3 wrote:Hi Guest

Yes, your understanding is my understanding, IYKWIM. Around 500 children are invited back as a result of getting around 65 or above out of 80 on the NVR test. The tests were definitely set by NFER, the school tells you this in the invitation letter so why they suggest Athey for practice is a bit of a mystery although there is a commonly held perception that the shop-bought Athey are harder than the shop-bought NFER papers. How hard the paper actually is is anybody's guess as I've never seen an actual paper used in an 11+ exam.

Only 4 types of questions on the Athey papers are used - analogies, series, isomorphic and matrices so the rest of the practice papers are effectively redundant. On the Athey isomorphic papers they ask for two shapes with similarities rather than the one shape asked for on NFER and I think the timing on the NFER papers is more generous - although again this depends on how hard the actual question is.

I heard that around 1800 had applied, this may not be accurate but there was about 200 children at my sons test and this only covered surnames starting with A and B.

hth
m
:cry:
lemony

My child got through NVR

Post by lemony »

We practised Athey and NFER as had NFER set anyway = got thru 1st round - positive feedback after first test although from friends children too and they didn't get called back! not sure of standard - my child has no. in 500s for return so quite a lot of kids through. Does anyoone know is the candidate no. given indicative of ranking from 1st round scores ? :D

Post by Guest »

My son also got thru the 1st round, but his ticket has the original candidate number. Could you tell me where you see a different no.?[/quote]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now