Latymer

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Latymer

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know how many children have got thru to the Latymer second round?

Post by Guest »

around 600 is what I have heard.

Post by Guest »

More than enough to make it very difficult to gain a place in the second round. What about the children who didn't make it through - How disappointed they and their parents must feel - The only saving grace that I can think of is that their ordeal is over and for those that remain their fool's errand continues peaking on Monday (is that the only day of the exams) followed by three months of hopeful delusion. After that we too must deal with the disappointment of entering a lottery with only a few winners – you would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at the ridiculous situation we all find ourselves in.
sj355

latymer second round

Post by sj355 »

Dear All,

611 kids went through to the second around, everyone achieving a standarised score of 105 and above. (It is the same score floor every year). From these 100 will pass strictly on "academic" merit and the rest by parents meticulously proving that their little Johnies and Maries are starts in sports, musical ability, singing, dancing, charities participation and hopefully a clown talent to perfrom for this circus of fools that we have all entered.

By the way what happended to education for its own merit? Why are we all so eager to get our kids to these exam marks factories? Is that what happiness in life and delight in learning is all about?

An academic,

INEX
sj355

Post by Guest »

I thought the list of achievements would only be relevant in a tie with somebody else on the list. The other entry criteria not amounting for more than 5-10% of the overall ranking score where the three tests account for 90-95% of the total.
I know of a school where the parents of some of the selective children knew that the class teacher was going to ask the children about their achievements at school (not sure how – but voice monitoring bugs have come down in price) and had rehearsed their child on that very morning. My specimen barely coherent at the best of times mumbled something about egg an spoon race completely omitting the two years of recorder practice, the appearance at the district sports, the lunchtimes at the chess club when it was raining etc whilst these perfectly rehearsed specimens recounted a dazzling list which the poor over-worked teacher promptly wrote down verbatim on the Latymer form. This may give these children an edge in this purely objective comparative process – the collaboration from the school merely under-pinning the parents paen (additional sheets required for the Hobbies section) to youthful achievement. I have some sympathy for the woman who sat the exam for her child only to be rumbled when snatching her paper back saying I haven’t finished.

Post by Guest »

If you are talking about latymer, the headteacher said the primary school would be sending confirmation of activities. [ This was during the speech at the NVR test].