Latymer

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Girlsmum

Re: Latymer

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Thanks Chilled,

We have tried to prepare as best we can (though possibly not enough with English despite months of Saturdays at the kitchen table with daddy, as it was so neglected at school until this year - it's KS2 driven now. She has gone from 4B in May to 5C in September and 5B this month so I think it's working.

It does make me wonder and feel angry at the way children aren't enabled to develop their potential at school though, and I wish the brighter children could benefit from extra tutoring in the way the struggling children are given extra help. I think one of the main lessons I've learned from this year is that schools are league-table driven to a greater extent, and their energy is directed at helping the struggling children rather than helping all children achieve an expected level (rant over!)
nat

Post by nat »

So true! My DS used to always say: I don't really enjoy writing. In the very first English test there was a question: Why did you enjoy reading this poem? And his answer was: 'I didn't.' The first creative writing task took him two hours. We used to do it on Sunday. He used to call them black Sundays.
And then we got a tuitor who inspired him into writing plus gave him guidance and after a few months the same boy (my DS) said he would like to be an auhtor in the the future. He started writing a book. He had no problem with finishing a writing task in half an hour, and he developed such an interesting, intriguing way of writing that I (and our tutor) always look forward to reading his esseys. I am shocked how much you can achieve with the right teacher.
I don't know if he will get in a selective school or not, but I must say I won't regret the time we spent on preparation. He has learnt so much.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I think that your son must live in a parallel 'boy' universe to our daughter:)
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Wow, who was the tutor?!!
nat

Post by nat »

I've got a challenge for you guys.

In the latest Latymer English example paper (Technical Test section) there is the following question:

Which of the following is or are correct?
A. Rushing to catch the bus, the old man slipped and fell.
B. Rushing to catch the bus, the old man's wallet fell out of his pocket.
C. Rushing to catch the bus, the old man's face was covered in sweat.
D. Rushing to catch the bus, the old man cursed his advanced years.

I showed it to a few people whose English is very good and they came up whith two different answers.

Let's see what you think of it.
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

option A?
herty

Post by herty »

A and D are both correct - as the wallet and face are not the ones rushing in the first part, technically.

But v difficult - wouldn't expect a 10/11 year old to get that!

Glad my DD is not applying to Latymer!
nat

Post by nat »

Personally I agree with you Herty. However some people think all the sentences are correct as far as techniical English is concerned. I wish Latymer supplied answers.

I look forward to hearing other people's opinions.
herty

Post by herty »

I think I'd say all of those, personally, but if analysed in rather more detail than one ever would when actually speaking, then I'd argue A and D were the 'right' two.
Rosed

Post by Rosed »

agree with A and D but B?
The old man's wallet fell out of his pocket, rushing to catch the bus

does the use of the comma give a break and then the subordinate clause imply the old man was rushing?

difficult