The Latymer School - a real longshot?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2Girlsmum

Re: The Latymer School - a real longshot?

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Me too (thanks Daogroupie :D )
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

SamB wrote:Hi there,

I am very new around here so hello everyone :-)

DD is in all top sets and is achieving 4A-4B with reading age of 12 yrs old. I have had my Year 5 DD in tutoring for nearly a year now. Unfortunately the tutor wasn't really targeting all of the areas that he needed to, plus his teaching methods were very questionable. I have now switched tutors but am very disheartned by the whole thing.

The new tutor looks very promising. DD had assessments with the new tutor (Latymer tests) and did not score very high in Maths and English but NVR was excellent.

There are no other schools in my area (Enfield) that I would want her to go to and with the requirements for Latymer being so tough, I am starting to lose faith. I am sure that DD will do well in any school but I do want her to go to a very good school as I feel that she would benfit so much from a grammer school education or even an independant school education.
Dear SamB,

I am also new and I am already finding the advice on the forum invaluable. We are getting our DD ready for 11+. Even when our tutoring situation is sorted, we may need constant reassurance. This forum is great for it, and thanks for sharing your experience.

I agree with many posters, a bright child will do well in any school. At least in any better than average school..

Doing mock exams seems to be a good way to keep the stress levels down. We would like to try to get some in the schedule, to make sure DD is not concerned or distracted by the large number of children attending the real exams.

As for Latymer, I visited and did a fair bit of research on it - it's an excellent school (with an amazing number leaving to oxbridge). Specially suitable if your DD is into maths and sciences. It's always worth trying the best for your children. We are outside the area, though :-(.

Best of luck for your DD!
Contains Nuts

Post by Contains Nuts »

Hi SamB

Use all the advice on here, and be prepared for some hard work between now and the exams (and a few tantrums from your DC etc!).

Hats off to all those who did it by home-tutoring. We had a tutor and still struggled to put in the personal time and motivation to help with the tutor work. We also did practice papers every day from August onwards.

SamB, I also live in Enfield and can tell you you would not have got into Southgate from BHP this year (or in the last 4 years). On allocation day the radius went as far as 1.69 miles which was as far as The Ridgeway/Windmill Hill. Highlands only went out as far as 1.268 miles this year on allocation day which was as far as St Stephen's church in BHP.

So good luck with Latymer, and perhaps your back up might be Enfield County? A lot of girls from BHP got into County this year.

Don't be too disheartened if you don't make it into Latymer. I and friends in Enfield have done the tutoring route, we and husbands are all University educated, and our success rate at Latymer has been pretty low! Even the son of one of the Latymer governors didn't get in.

But one thing is for sure: all the tutoring will put your DD in good stead for starting secondary school. She will be in top sets and will have already learnt what hard work and motivation is, and she will do well whatever school she goes to.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now