Laytmer admission requirements

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kamenrider

Laytmer admission requirements

Post by kamenrider »

Hi...DD has just started in yr 4 so am doing preparatory long listing work.

Latymer entry requirements states that:
The School will be over-subscribed if by the deadline for submission of the School Registration Form (Monday 14 July 2014) it receives more than 186 applications from applicants who reside in the Inner Area (see Note 2 overleaf). At this point applicants who do not reside in the Inner Area will be advised that the school is oversubscribed and that they will not be invited to take the tests.
I do not reside in the inner area. Does that mean my DD won't even get a chance to take the test if by the submission deadline, there are more than 186 applications from applicants from the inner area? Surely anyone outside of the inner area don't stand a chance of taking the test?

many thanks.
lemondrop

Re: Laytmer admission requirements

Post by lemondrop »

I don't know about sitting the test, but you certainly wouldn't be offered a place if you don't live in the catchment area.

Going by the wording on the admissions criteria they are within their rights not to allow anyone living outside the postcode area to sit the entrance exam, as they usually have in the region of 1600-2100 applicants each year from within the catchment. It might be worth calling the school and asking if they will allow you to take the test. They might if you have a good enough reason for doing so, ie living on the border of the catchment or about to move into the catchment area, but don't bank on it, they have to limit the number of applicants somehow.

The catchment area is defined to keep travel time to school within reasonable limits. You do need to look at your child's journey to school realistically.
kamenrider

Post by kamenrider »

That's really good to know as I think our approach to secondary school application is flawed then.

DD has a lot of potential an we're looking at selective schools because we want her to be accepted on her ability rather than geographical distance. We're totally happy to relocate but wanted to relocate (to avoid long school journey's for DD) only after she has been accepted. Clearly, that's not possible even with selective schools.
yesaar

Post by yesaar »

I believe Latymer wouldn't prevent you from taking the test if you live outside the inner area. I know a family which has done just that, last week.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

As I said, check with the school to see what they say. If you're convincing in your desire to move they may let her sit, but their argument might be that there are plenty of able children already living in the catchment.

Henrietta Barnett have no catchment so you can apply there regardless of where you live.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS and Clement Danes are the selective schools taking girls in this area that have no catchment area. DAO and Latymer have geographical areas that you need to live in, or with DAO and Islington, be educated in. If you are really serious about selective schools in this area you would do better to move here and then you will have a lot more choice. DG
Elibet

Post by Elibet »

Last year, as I recall, the Latymer catchment area was quite extensive, covering many North and NE London postcodes.

Has it shrunk this year? :shock:
copella

Post by copella »

No it's the same as it always has been. The expectation is that no child travels more than an hour so that they can fully participate in school life and have time to relax at home.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now