Current QE boys students

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ummh74

Post by ummh74 »

Hi e45

Since I have started this thread I just wanted to give an update of what is happening with my son and perhaps give some persuasive info to try to convince you to seriously consider QE boys. My son got offered a place on the 2nd of March (allocation day) as it was our first preference.
We obviously accepted it and are very thrilled he wil be starting in September, we now just need to decide where we are going to move as we currently live in Greenford and the commute would be too difficult.

QE boys is a fantastic school at all levels and I was very impressed by the way the entrance exams were run. Indeed when my son sat the 2 rounds, he was made very comfortable and relaxed. I not only had a good feel about the school when I went to the open evening but I also have a friend who works there and she can only praise the school in terms of academic achievement but also and especially very good pastoral care for the boys who are in general very happy to be there.

So I don't know if there is anyone out there who can give you more info on Christ's college but if you require more info on QE go on their website, it is very informative.www.qebarnet.co.uk

P.S: Does anyone out there travel very far to go to QE and have been doing it for years? We are looking to move closer to the school but on a specific budget so next door to QE is out of the question. Another option would be Harrow as there is a coach that goes there but 7 years of taking the coach, would that affect my son's performance at school? Any similar experience would be extremely welcome. Thanks.
James

Post by James »

Hi Umm74,

First, congratulations! A long time since I visited the site, but I remain a firm supporter of QE and I'm sure your son will do well there. Mine is about to take GCSEs there and has no regrets. Doing well academically, but as important has the kind of circle of similar-minded, very likeable friends that QE provides.

Christs College is (no insult intended) hugely different to QE so I am not sure where the confusion arises. I actually liked it visiting all those years ago, but it did well in some subjects but very poorly in others.
moose

Post by moose »

My son is in Y7 of QE. It was not our 1st choice because of the distance. We live in Southgate/Palmers Green area. I was very shocked to find that we are not far away at all! There are boys commuting from Greenford, Wembley, Walthamstow, St Albans and even one from Slough! Some take 2 or more hrs one way to get to school.
I personally would not recommand it I think it can become very daunting for both parents and children. If your boy gets by chance into A or B rugby team he also has to visit the school on Sat 9am for matches and 2 afternoons a week.
I think Latymer has a good policy of restricting intake by 1 hr commute distance.
James

Post by James »

I agree with this warning. Coach is an expensive but very valuable way of coping, but QE is keen on extracurricular activity and some parents have busy lives ferrying sons to and fro, not to mention the busy life of sons!

It has also always surprised me the extent to which many of the boys are keen to add significant sporting hours to their workload, so though school is demanding that's not the whole story. I have found QE approachable in the past, so if some after school activities are impossible, it is worth discreetly talking to someone about this.
Purple Ronny

Post by Purple Ronny »

My son has been travelling from Harrow this year. He goes by school coach. He leaves home about 7.15, to catch 7.40 coach from College Road Harrow, and arrives back about 5.00.

It is quite a long day but he gets through it. After school actvities means missing the school coach and making your own arrangements. So far my son is not taking any after school activities.

A lot of boys do travel from Harrow.

Of course if you could move closer to the school that would be good.
Regards

Purple Ronny
ummh74

Post by ummh74 »

Thank you James and Purple Ronny for your replies. :)

Moose, I am looking to move to Palmers Green actually and will be viewing a few houses this week. What is the area like? How far is it from QE boys by car or public transport? Any useful information will be more than welcome.
I also have a 3 year old daughter and I am looking for a good school for her, state or private I don't mind since I won't be paying any fees for my son..... Any you could recommend?

Thank you in advance for your reply. :)
moose

Post by moose »

Palmers Green (jokingly also called Palmers Greek) for its large Greek population) is an atractive place to live. The better part of it called Lakes Estate is between The Bourne Green Lanes and Aldersman Hill. It has lots of green spaces and it is linked very well with town by Picadilly Line from Southgate/Arnos Grove or Palmers Green train station (20 min to Moorgate). Primary schools are generally good. If you get your kid to St Monica's Catholic School/Walkers/St Andrews/Hazelwood there is no need to think about private.
It takes 13 min to get to QE by car with zero traffic (Sunday morning), ohterwise around 20 min to get there in the morning
and up to 40 on the way back. We haven't tried buses in the morning.
My son occasionaly comes by 307 bus to Oakwood from where I pick him up (takes 30min to get there from school). He would have to take another bus from there to get home (121). There is also 34 bus from school to Arnos Grove. This journey also envolves change or 20 min walk.
...and Arnos Grove is a very busy station-probably not the safest one. Lots of kids hanging around there from Broomfield school , which does not have a great reputation.
nuetut7

QE Boys

Post by nuetut7 »

My son got into QE boys and is over the moon about it. If you would like some help in what comes up in the test please post a comment. On your comment it said anyone who is already in qe boys. If your son plays an instrument try and do the music exams (people applying for the exams need to be atleast grade 3) AS IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.
naxa

Post by naxa »

nuetut7 - any more info on the music side?
You say it makes a BIG difference, but is that just because there are less boys trying for it and so its less competitive? or are you saying that you can get a place with significantly lower marks on the academic side?
Did your son take the music test? If so, what was the experience like and what grade was he at?
nuetut7

QE

Post by nuetut7 »

Well you have to pass the first round to be able to do the music. QE take 20 people from music (who get a minimum 70 marks out af a 100). Less people apply for music so the competition is less. As I said before you have to be Grade 3 or over to apply for music. My son did the music test and so did his friend and they both got in. My son was Grade 3 in tabla (indian drums) at the time. I suppose music gives you a better chance of getting in.