Results soon!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sra

Results soon!

Post by sra »

My child and I await the results and it suddenly seems as if the wait is almost over. With this in mind I have spent an interesting (!!) weekend looking through the majority of the postings regarding results in Essex generally and the aftermath of results with cut-offs / waiting lists etc for the Colchester grammars particularly.
Attempting to apply my unemotional but logical brain (not a great one alas) I have come up with the following 'findings' which I thought may be of interest to other forum users.
The cut off for CRGS has been slightly higher (333) than for CCHS (330) for the last couple of years. Bear in mind that maximum scores are 390 ie equivalent to 100%.
In the 2007-intake the last offered position at the time of Offers Day was 157th for CCHS and 122nd for CRGS. In the 2008-intake the situation changed quite significantly and these positions were 146th for CCHS and 133rd for CRGS.
CCHS took 16 girls from the waiting list after Offers Day due to turned down places. CRGS took only 11.
A friend of a friend's tutor told his student that if she came in the top 160 ranking students applying for CCHS then she stood a 'good chance' of getting a place. This was confirmed with other girls and their rankings and did indeed come to pass!
If this is so, based on the fact that there are 112 places at CCHS but 96 at the boys school and keeping the ratios the same, the equivalent would be the top 137 boys ranked for CRGS.
Of course it needs to be remembered that every year is different and this year - particularly with the credit crunch, economic downturn, exodus from private school (wahay me hearties!!!) fees, and reported increases in grammar school applications - may produce very different results.
We all wait and see! Good luck to everyone.
The Essex forum is noticeably quiet compared with other years at this point in the 11+ journey. I hope my input proves interesting to some and
gets some responses.
sra

Post by sra »

My typing is so poor that I put 'pirate' school instead of 'private' on my first attempt and the silly 'wahay me hearties' just followed naturally. Now I look back on the posting, it seems ridiculous - apologies!!!!
I will post no more.
Tony42

Post by Tony42 »

Ho ho ho (and a bottle of rum?)...

Actually I thought the "pirate" thing was deliberate... thought you were making a political point! :lol:

But on a slightly more serious note, this is my first time and so I know nothing about the "reveal".

I take it we are contacted by post, so does that mean they send the letters out on the 2nd of March, or the previous Friday?

My son has been lucky enough to have been offered a place at an indepedent, but we only have 3 days after the March 2nd deadline to accept or not. So waiting lists seem out of the question, though perhaps it is worth getting on a waiting list and forgoing the £750 deposit if an offer materialises?

I guess this is the point of trying to work out where "the cut" will be and how many waiting list places end up being offers... is that how it works?

I did see a thread where people were talking about seeing results online.... where would one do that and what passwords etc are needed? Do I need to apply for one do you think?

I take it from some comments that you get the results of the 11+, is that for everyone?

I live in Havering, just, but have applied for a school in Chelmsford. So presumably it would be Havering that tell me, rather than Essex, or is it the CSSE?

I know these questions seem a bit thick, but it is my first time - did I mention that?

Ah ha!

T
sra

Post by sra »

Hi Tony42,
I said I would post no more but the bottle of rum has tempted me back!!
I do not pretend to be an expert and this is my 'first-time' as an 11+ parent too. However I do lots of listening and my forum search also has allowed me to glean several pertinent facts. In answer to your questions:
Offers will be made by the county in which you live/applied/completed CAF on 2/3/09.
This will be in the form of letters posted on that day and also e-mails sent (but only if the parent completed the CAF on-line).This will be the first piece of correspondence received.
The Essex grammars take pupils from the waiting lists as and when spaces come up and they used to do this right through to 7th September (the end of the first week in the new academic year). Due to a change in the law, the waiting list now operates up to Friday 18th December 2009 (the last day of the autumn term). For some families it must be a testing and lengthy wait.
Offers from county, resulting from the initial results, must be formally accepted or rejected by 20/3/09. Shuffling on the waiting list is quite fast as a result.
The CSSE will provide the second piece of correspondence, either by post or e-mail depending on how the child was registered with them. I therefore think it is too late to arrange emailed notification if you did not register online (but I don't know for sure).
You are provided with your child's results ie their individual scores for the 3 papers, their standardised score and their ranking. With border-line cases it will be fairly obvious whether or not a child has a sporting chance of getting a waiting list place because of the ranking shown.
You are not given any other child's results.
Essex County LEA will be able to inform of any shuffling on the waiting list in the days after results if applicable.
I hope this helps!!
Tony42

Post by Tony42 »

Fantastic response. I feel a bit silly now for not doing the research myself. :oops:

I did complete the London Borough of Havering application online so hopefully they''ll email me on the 2nd March. :D

We applied to two very good state (non-grammar) schools and one grammar, plus a back up local comp (not very good, but they must offer as we live half a mile away). Since then of course our indepedent of choice came through and at this stage I think it is either the grammar or the indepedent - we still have not decided. :roll:

You have put my mind at rest, thanks and good luck! :D :D :D :D
T :wink:
Tony42

:)

Post by Tony42 »

Sorry about the excessive smileys.... :oops:
alliePop

Post by alliePop »

I'm so nervous I can hardly breathe...I seemed so confident about it after I took the exam, but now its so close, its really nerv-racking :shock:
leah

Post by leah »

Thanks to sra for all the information. It's just that sra and Tony42 are both first-time eleven plus parents. Is there anyone else out there who is a tried-and-tested, experienced parent who can confirm all of sra's 'findings'? e.g. somewhere on this forum it says that for CCHS the girl ranked 113 is the unlucky one as there are only 112 places. I can see that this means no girls drop out but sra suggests that around 40 do - both situations seem hard to believe.

I begin to worry that getting our child to sit the test was the easy bit! I can see that for the near-miss children this next fortnight will be a hard time.

Any words of wisdom out there? I would be grateful for any advice, facts or even hear-say!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi - have daughter at CCHS.There are 120 places and there is a girl in her class that came 156th.Yes there is a drop out to private .I suspect it will be less this year but still good chance for everyone ranked between 120 and 140.So if she is in that situation, dont go buying a different school uniform.keep hopeful. :wink:
KM

Post by KM »

I have a daughter in Y7 at CCHS. The position of the last person allocated a place last year at the beginning of March was in the 150s. DD knows people who came about 170th+ in her year who were offered places later after the first round of allocations was completed. As the previous poster said there are 120 places at CCHS and there are 112 places at KEGS.