Felsted School, Essex

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Josa

Felsted School, Essex

Post by Josa »

Does anyone have any information about this school?, will gracefully receive both positive and negative comments.

Many thanks

Josa
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

My daughter applied for entry autumn 2008 year 7 i.e. to the prep. I put the school on my short list of three as it met my key criteria:
size, co-ed, location, boarding (although this is not brilliant in the prep - no saturday night and this was a factor in not in the end taking up the offer of a scholarship), good modern languages (influence of the IB, which was my preferred choice at the sixth form), good music but not impossibly competitive.

I subsequently discovered that it was very sporty (the biggest single destination of leavers was varients on 'sports science'). Daughter who now seems to spend every spare moment on a sport field elsewhere was not impressed by the PE teacher on her trial (who was too busy shouting at other children to find out why she didn't have a mouth guard).

Prep head struck me as outstanding. Senior school head has just changed and I've not met. He came from a very academic state school so this may lead to changes.

The school struck me as a good boarding school primarily serving a local community, not too selective, but with plus of a more cosmopolitian mix particularly in the sixth form (especially form Germany) attracted by the IB. The attraction for me apart from the IB over many of its local competitors was its size (some other schools seemed to be too small to be sure of offering all the traditional subjects) and a large enough proportion of boarders, at least in the senior school.

I hope that this helps.
P's mum
Josa

Post by Josa »

Thank you very much P's mum for the information, we still have a couple of years to decide on appropriate school for ds but heard about the school and wanted an honest opinion from someone that has applied there.

Many thanks once again.

Josa
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

P's Mum
A friend with DS there mentioned that they had had rather disappointing initial IB results. IB is not a straighforward shift, and most schools drop A-levels at the same time for that reason. Haven't looked at their website to check, and it is just one person's impression.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.