decisions

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heidiho

decisions

Post by heidiho »

We are now in the final stages of making a decision for our DS.

He has been offered a place at both Ratcliffe College and Loughborough Grammar School, which is wonderful! :D

We are having a really difficult time chosing!

Just wondered if any one had any knowledge of the schools or advice?

We are on even points for both at the moment! :roll:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Hi heidiho!

Congratulations on having a choice! But can't choice be a horrible thing sometimes!

They're both good schools where I'm sure your son will flourish.

Just thinking about what the main difference between the two schools is which could ultimately make the biggest mark to your son's life and character in the long run, I expect it's probably that Ratcliffe is a Catholic school and Loughborough is the usual nominal-CofE/decide yourself. I expect you've got to look to what you prefer on that score, because other differences between the two aren't going to be so material. Just my thought, for what its worth.

Good luck!
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Loughborough has a better academic record.
heidiho

Post by heidiho »

Thanks for your replies!

We now have a difference of opinion!

We feel one is a better school academically, but our DS is at state school and I feel he may struggle to reach the standard required. However the fact he was offfered a place should count for something? Surely he must have achieved the standard required in the exams! The sports are also far better here, which is his passion.

The other school I think may be easier for him; Less academic, more all- rounded!

My Son and Husband want the same school, I am not sure. I do not want him to struggle! But I do not want to deprive him of the opportunity to flourish!

Can't believe will have to do this all over again in 2 years with DD!

I am in such a state over this decision! Any advice would be wonderful :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

As an outsider I think he should go to the school which is sporty and academic if he wants to go to it and if its the school I think it is then loads come from state schools.
heidiho

Post by heidiho »

Thank you T.i.p.s.y -again- for your advice. It's all so scary!

Are you thinking Lough? That is where he wants to go!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

That's 3 against 1 now! :wink:
mad?

Post by mad? »

4 against 1 - my DD went to an academic school from a state background and is really flying now (stil in Y7), if he wasn't up to it they wouldn't have offered him.
mad?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I agree with Tipsy, Mad?, your DH and DS. :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

heidiho wrote:Thanks for your replies!

We now have a difference of opinion!

We feel one is a better school academically, but our DS is at state school and I feel he may struggle to reach the standard required. However the fact he was offfered a place should count for something? Surely he must have achieved the standard required in the exams! The sports are also far better here, which is his passion.

The other school I think may be easier for him; Less academic, more all- rounded!

My Son and Husband want the same school, I am not sure. I do not want him to struggle! But I do not want to deprive him of the opportunity to flourish!

Can't believe will have to do this all over again in 2 years with DD!

I am in such a state over this decision! Any advice would be wonderful :?
Hi TIPSY is right - the academic school takes loads from state schools, may others do come from its own prep school but that is relatively non selective (before anyone says anything I know they try and select them ... but at the age of 3/4????? - DS wouldn't have said a word to a stranger at that point so I didn't even try, another friend's kid screamed through the whole event and they had to collect her early - the school took her anyway).
I do know both schools and reckon you should go with gut instinct, the one is deffo more academic but not THAT academic and I wasn't keen on the atmosphere (went on an open day - always a mistake :wink: )- but that was probably just me and I know loads kids who have been v happy there. Tuvver school has longer day / more activities etc etc, is in lovely grounds and has super facilities. Honestly can;t say owt about the academic side as never looked too closely, again I have met kids who have been v happy there. Many t come from private schools (their own prep / Grace Dieu etc).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now