St Benedicts Ealing vs Slough Grammar

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Plumbuddle

St Benedicts Ealing vs Slough Grammar

Post by Plumbuddle »

We are in a quandary, DS having been accepted to both of these. DS is bright but dyspraxic, very difficult to teach and we anticipate social/emotional problems he has had will continue into secondary level. Has been heavily bullied at his "nice" Ealing state primary and has been perceived as a nuisance by teachers. Is there any parent out there with experience of either school who can suggest how he would get on at each? The fees seem a lot to pay for the easier school trip but he really cannot travel independently due to poor orientation so it is a big factor. He also I feel will hugely benefit from the more intimate but less pressured environment. But one keeps returning to those fees... are they really necessary to get the sense of cosiness and supervision he needs? Can anyone give us an idea of the emotional quality of each school and the level of pastoral care? Thanks folks
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Quote on St B's
Exactly the school for your brightish but quietish child who would sink in a larger, or tougher, environment. Not a smart school – nor would strive to be – but an honest, straightforward, hard-working place with a gentle and loving approach.
I don't know much else about the school but living in Ealing I have heard it is a very nice school. Size wise it is smaller than Slough. The drive to Slough at that time of the day is crammed and stressful which may not help the start of his day. If you really want Slough then it would be better to move much closer.
Reader

Have you done a schoool-time journey?

Post by Reader »

Suggest that you do a trial school run to Slough on school day at the time you would need to leave even if it means he is late in to school. No fees = lots of money to spend on therapies and other things that might benefit him but the journey could be the clincher. So many schools hold their open days and exams during off-peak traffic hours which makes them seem so much closer!
ingunn

Post by ingunn »

A mum who left my dds' primary in Kew 3 years ago sent her son to St B's. Her kid had a severe dyslexia and couldn't pass any exam. StB's offered him a place from waiting list.
The kid spent there 2 wonderful years, had support and made friends.
I met the lady last summer in a local cafe and she was extremely upset and cried all the time because she had to pull out her son from school. She was divorcing and couldn't afford the school fees anymore. She felt she was depriving her child from the first real part of happiness he had in his life.
Unfortunately this lady is in Kent and I lost her address, but from what I know her experience at StB's was really great.
Wish you and your kid all the best.