King's High or Princethorpe

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Scurr1780

King's High or Princethorpe?

Post by Scurr1780 »

Our daughter has been offered places at King's High and Princethorpe. At the same time we are waiting the results of the 11+. We are proceeding the assumption that she does not get a place at a grammar school and so must therefore choose between King's and Princethorpe - which is proving to be a difficult and finely balanced decision. Any tips or comments on the merits of these two schools?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think that the surroundings of Princethorpe are difficult to beat - it's the most beautiful place!!

I guess it depends upon whether you want your daughter in a single gender or mixed school. This coming academic year we shall probably be applying to both those schools for our daughter. If it was a straightforward choice between the two, we would probably choose Kings. That is mostly because I think that Kings is more suitable for OUR child than Princethorpe. Academically, I seem to remember that Kings does better too...?
magwich2

kings high or princethorpe

Post by magwich2 »

I'm not trying to be nasty about kings as I do not have any first hand knowledge of it but all I can say is that the nastiest girl at DD's old junior school went there (she was the school bully for years) and even she has been heard to say that there are a lot of bitchy girls at Kings!!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I haven't much to add really (soz). I had a friend with the same dilemma last year. I think the parents preferred King's because of the academic record and the prestige - "Where does your daughter go to school?" "King's" - unsaid, "So she's clever"; "Princethorpe" - unsaid, "So she didn't get in anywhere else". (That wasn't very nice I'm afraid but it is how many people think!)

Having said that, I know lots of people with children at Princethorpe and it seems to be a wonderful school in many ways - and the children do seem to achieve their potential in all areas including academia. I am contemplating it for my son.

I guess it comes down to your gut instinct - and location, single sex v coed, facilities, friends. As things stand today, I would probably choose Princethorpe. But then I don't know a great deal about King's...

(See, no help whatsoever!!)

However, don't discount the grammars yet; it's much easier to get in than many people think!

Best of luck for allocation day!

btw, my friend kept her options open until the end of May - without paying a penny - and the daughter ended up at RHS.

Charlotte
Sassie'sDad

KN v P

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Magwhich, Surely you know that bitchy goes with girls, rather than schools. I have two (girls) and have known enough to know they don't walk the other way but rather toward the kill.

Choice of school (indy) is very idiosyncratic but, assuming lack of fee paying clout is not an issue, surely, in the last resort, there are two camps: Those who believe their dd or ds will 'win through in the end, come what may'; the other 'get to the best (most academic) school or the outcome may not be as we would wish'.

[I don't have roots in Warwickshire but I worked with a local girl (from a comp) who made good who told me in all candour that King's is the snobby school ... how could you contemplate your dd going there?]

Sounds like two polarised camps but I think the difference (small) is really one of class: a matter of perception not fact. I fall naturally in the second camp being an eleven plus failure and would choose Bablake over either. Only an academic choice since my dd has just taken a place at Rugby. Just shows what State Primary Schools and biligerent fathers (not afraid of removing their dear daughters from State education) can achieve!
Scurr1780

Post by Scurr1780 »

Thank you for the replies.

There is no doubt that King's High has had some excellent results in recent public examinations. For example, in 2008, at GCSE 87.2% of grades were A* or A. In addition, the school had an outstanding Independent Schools Inspectorate Report (ISIR) in 2008.

The Princethorpe results don't even come close to King's, but we are told that it is only in the last few years when Princethorpe has started to be more selective and it is now making a great effort to improve its results. However, there has not been an ISIR for a number of years and whilst one is taking place now the results will not be available for some time.

It is not just about exam results and Princethorpe does have a very nice feel to it. The current assistant head at Rugby School is to become the new Headmaster from September.

Another factor for us is transport. There are more transport options to Warwick and we are not comfortable about a 1 hour 25 minute bus journey on the way home from Princethorpe. The journey in the morning is only 30 minutes.

We will make a decision over the weekend and will then have see if she is offered a place at Stratford Grammar.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Good luck for next week Scurr1780. (Will you choose the GS over the indies?)

I have had a complete about turn having read your last post! King's is now looking by far the best option. Such a long journey at the end of the day has got to be a huge issue. I was assuming that your dilemma was caused by your living closer to Princethorpe than King's - I can see no real reason for travelling a longer distance to Princethorpe.

Fingers crossed for you for Monday (or Tuesday).
solimum

Post by solimum »

I have no direct experience of either school , but know children who have been to both from our area, and have Warwickshire friends elsewhere who are seriously thinking of Princethorpe for their (dyslexic) dauighter who they feel might struggle the 11 plus. The personalities of those involved bear out the above views that Princethorpe may be more of a caring, supportive atmosphere (the coach service runs far & wide I believe) whereas Kings (from the gaggles of girls I've seen on the trains home) might suit more confident girls.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

In contrast to how things were 20+ years back, I find pretty well most schools have very high pastoral standards. I have friends with sons at PC and daughters at KH and all are happy. My dd went to the taster morning and a huge group of them left the domestic science kitchen around noon, each bearing triumphantly an iced Victoria Sponge and practically wetting themselves in anticipation of September! They have a close relationship with Warwick Boys and quite good social exchanges and sports fixtures.
The only downside to my mind is Warwick is so congested,
Scurr1780

King's it is!

Post by Scurr1780 »

Thank you again for all your responses. In the end the place at King's High has been accepted. Our daughter just missed out on a grammar school place (see separate post under CEM and this years 11+ exam).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now