General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

One at grammar and one at comp?

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Lassie

Post by Lassie »

I have one at a Grammar and one at an Academy - guess who is the happiest, well rounded individual? There's your answer - and because you care the younger will have an equally good education.
AB

Post by AB »

I don't have that situation personally but know many families in your situation, with their able children just missing out because of one/ two tests on one/two days.

These bright children have gone on to great things in their school career as they are literally the big fish in a small pond. Confidence in their abilities and shining consistently in all they undertake, they have progressed from Yr 7, to KS3 to GCSE with A and A* predicted and attained. Some had short tutoring sessions to make up for absent or patchy teaching, some had parents keen and able to revise with, some had brilliant teachers to motivate and inspire them...

Trust your child to do well. I will admit it is not a comfortable situation to deal with at first because of the shock/disappointment factor but if it's a reasonable comp with no overt immediate concerns, dig deep within your inner reserves and help your child to look forward to the future.

There are quite a few on the forum who were in this situation in years gone by and hopefully they will come and support you.

edit: read this very recently and was thankful that the light at the end of the tunnel is not a myth...
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&start=0
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Oh dear, Chelmsford mum, I really feel for you - we are in the same position, although we found this out not long after taking the test.
I am sure that your daughter will do very well in her new school – we are also trying to be positive, although still finding it very difficult almost 3 months on from getting the results.
Have you though of appealing? - The Appeals forum on this site has lots of very good advice. That is what we are going to do, and although I believe it unlikely that we will succeed, at least then we know we have tried everything for our son.
So I have been telling my son (and myself, for that matter) that he will soar away in the top sets at the comprehensive (which he will, as he has done at primary school), and I am beginning to look forward to the day when he comes home with a bag of GCSE’s probably better than those achieved at the grammar school by his older siblings.
The thing to try and remember is that there are very many of us in a similar position, and there is comfort to be found in that thought!
Good luck with whatever you do,

LFH
jah

Post by jah »

Year 12 daughter is at GS, and has had 5+ years of stress-related eczema and even hair failling out at time of KS3 SATs. Now in 6th form and there has been no let up for years. OK, yes she did get 11 good GCSEs, but it hasn't half been stressful.

Year 8 daughter (to my mind equally bright but with different talents) didn't get to GS and is at Academy. Doesn't get as much homework as I would like, and probably won't get such good GCSEs on the basis that they're aiming at get people to C grades rather than A*s. She's going to have to be more of a self-starter, but her teachers are really encouraging and positive, and her Head of House says that she should get A*s and As. She's going to do GCSE English in Year 9.

Year 6 son refused to do 11+, and hopefully tomorrow we get the letter confirming his place at the Academy. Otherwise questions will be asked... :x
Bobbles

one at a grammar one at a comp

Post by Bobbles »

I just want to say that I was in this same situation many years ago when I started at secondary school. My older sister was at a traditional respected grammar school but when it was time for me apply the rules changed, boundaries were re-drawn etc and I had to go to our local (unpopular) comprehensive. Please tell your daughter that I made lots of friends, joined lots of clubs and ended up with a place at Cambridge. It also gave my sister and I space to develop our different worlds. A grammar school place isn't the only route to making the most of education, so please tell her not to be down-hearted.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Chelmsford mum and LfH

A long standing motto on this site is that 'cream always rises to the top'. This has been realised/seen many times, where previous parents have come back to advise that their DC had moved on and very successfully, since a non positive allocation day.
I second everything AB has said, especially that with such supportive parents they will go on to climb great heights. :D

Good luck

BW
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thank you everyone. Almost getting from a :cry: to a :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi BW,

Thanks for your comments, I know that everything will work out in the end, these things have that kind of habit, thankfully, although I will sleep more easily when our appeal is over and there's nothing more to be done.

Congratulations to you on your good news, and thanks for all your very cheerful posts, they have made entertaining reading over this stressful time.

We are still waiting for our letter (hopefully tomorrow) to tell us which school we have been allocated, hopefully the better of the two comps we had listed on our form, applying online in our area did not mean online notification. :wink:

Thanks again

LFH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now