please help....

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
QUEENMA

please help....

Post by QUEENMA »

first time mom and new to the UK education system as well ! what are the common entrance exams for independent schools ? Is there a list of schools that prescribes to this test ? will these test scores decide the level of scholarship if at all ?
Also can anyone help me with schools around Sutton / Croydon / Surrey area - do they have a consortium at all ?
I have tried to do a lot of internet serching but honestly , the more I read the more confused I get.....

Please help ! Many thanks !
Queenma
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi QUEENMA,

If you wish you can pm me your details or post them on the public forum:

son or daughter
day or boarding

and I/we can try and help you.

Common Entrance is an exam taken for Year 7 (age 11) or Year 9 (age 13) entry to independent schools. Many schools use this and there are scholarship papers however some schools have their own entrance and scholarship papers and some schools offer scholarships based on how well you do on the standard Common Entrance papers. The papers cover a broad range - maths, english, geography, history, science, french and sometimes latin and religious studies. More info including past papers can be found here:

http://www.iseb.co.uk/
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

I have a feeling that TIPSY, our resident oracle, will post in due course, and take you under her wing. :)

meanwhile....
CE
This is for Independent (fee paying schools) and exists at 11+ and also 13+.
Scholarship exams are sat at a different time on largely the same syllabus, but at a higher level.
Just to add to the confusion, many of the top schools set their own scholarship exams, which kids sit at yet another time.

It is probably useful to focus on broadly what type of school you want, and then look at how you need to get there.

SCHOOLS
1. Buy a copy of the Good Schools Guide either in print, or on/line. Will give you a good flavour of most of the best schools.

2. Some general decisions that need to be made:

Boarding or Day School
Single sex or Co-ed
Academically selective, super-selective, or non-selective

3. Do you have boys or girls?

If you can respond on some of these points, then the narrowing down process can begin! 8)
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Beaten to it!! :lol:
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
QUEENMA

how do I pm ?

Post by QUEENMA »

Sorry , need to ask very sheepishly...how do I exchange personal emails through this forum ?

Queenma
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think you could take on the new role FTB. D'ya fancy being my side-kick? :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Under someone's post it says pm. When you receive one it tells you near the bottom of the page.
QUEENMA

Common entrance exams

Post by QUEENMA »

Many thanks for all your help

DD is 9 now and Iam open to either same gender or co-ed schools and Iam looking for day schools

Is it too early for me to start looking BTW ?

Queenma
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

A sidekick writes.... :)

Not too early to start looking, but no urgency.
The beauty of looking early is that you can allow your impressions to stew and ferment, and your eventual decision will be unhurried.
Allows you to visit the schools, and re-visit if necessary.

I sense an American "Mom", so will need to consider whether you want a school with an international flavour, or something more trad.
Also need to look into whether the International Baccalaureate (IB) would be more useful outside the UK than A levels for University applications.
ACS Cobham might fit the bill, for example, unless you want a very academic school.

Would need more details though.
Over to you..............
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Thanks FirstTimeBuyer

Keen for an academic school - will I sound very snobbish if I say I might actually like her to go to OXBRIDGE.....Iam exploring IB as well - if it gives your child an international arena, why not - but OXBRIDGE should be just as fine :)

DD is a child who I think is very bright but with a laid back attitude - needs to be challenged....

I have posted the other details sought by TIPSY......await your advice