Should DS start in 1J or F1?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

earn

Should DS start in 1J or F1?

Post by earn »

Need some advice from South of the border!

After much soul searching between Dollar Academy and Strathallan we have decided on Strathallan. DS is currently in p6, but Strath run with the English system and as his birthday is 17th September he should start in the last year of Junior school i.e. effectively repeat p6! The school recognise that he is bright and have said that they will be flexible and he can start in either 1J or F1. My instinct is that Strath is such a sporty school that being the youngest and smallest (very small for 10) in the class will be a disaster and we should opt to have him start in 1J. On the other hand he is already bored at primary particularly in maths, and I don't want him switching off. The school suggested we come in to chat through the options, but any advice would be helpful.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

When you have a very bright child there usually has to be a compromise - stay ahead but may not be as socially adept or stay back a year and be unhappy in lessons. Unless the school is seriously academic then I would suggest going up a year because your child will spend more hours in the classroom than anywhere else and it is better for them to be happy and not switch off. If the school have no issues with him going ahead then I wouldn't worry too much.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

There is a definite caveat to moving your child beyond their year group, however...

Research has shown that children sometimes struggle to cope socially when they are moved up a year. If they spend a lot of time at school, as my friend Tipsy has rightly stated, then this social side is also hugely important. (Don't ask me to cite this research - but it out there!)
earn

Post by earn »

Thanks for the advice. Part of me thinks exactly as you do TIPSY, but part of me thinks we all try to rush through life and there is nothing wrong with slowing down a little.

Dollar is very academic and he was luck to be offered a place there, but Strathallan is not. The class sizes are small however, and my hope would be that they can differentiate within the class better than his primary can with 33 children. The whole experience will be strange to him. He is coming from a state primary to what is effectively a boarding school. He will be a day pupil, but days start at 8am and finish anytime from 4pm to 8pm, depending on what he/we chose. He will also go to school on Saturdays. This will be so new that I think it might be good to be on top of the academic side.

My main concern actually comes at the other end of his schooling. He will be the last to do everything - learn to drive, drink legally etc. My brother was the youngest in his year and hated it. He was very bright and always top of the class, so no probs academically. Perhaps my judgement is being coloured by that. Also DS wants to start in the younger group as one of our friends boys is in that class.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Given what you've said about the long days and Saturday school and your apprehension, I think you should put him in with the correct age group. Hopefully he will be stimulated and when he goes up to the senior school they should have streams.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now